Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect fired water heater.

Options
chief
chief Member Posts: 27
Hello all, my domestic water heater ( currently electric) is getting old and I want to have a plan in place to replace it instead of reacting to a failure. I already have a buderus gb142 mod con. Set up to add indirect. My question is in reguards to location of the indirect. The buderus is in one mechanical room and the water heater and softner are located in a different mechanlcal room. Reason is the water heater and softner are located close to the kitchen and bathrooms. All mechanical equipment is in the basement. We have time of use electric so electricity is cheap at night so I thought of keeping a small electric in series with the indirect to take advantage of the low electric rate. Length of heating loop would be about 45' one way. I don't want to have to run a lot of water before it gets hot at the faucet, but I am concerned about the long run of the heating loop. I'm looking for some help on how to calculate the cost of operating the indirect. Fuel is propane for the mod con. I'd like to not use electric at all but have to factor in the operating costs. I am a master electrician so the electric side is easily calculated. Thanks for taking the time to read and your input is appreciated.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What are you paying for a electric rate?
    You may want to keep it if the rate is low enough and your usage is "reasonable".
    They do make lifetime SS electric water heaters.
    Have to look at rate of return on an indirect install.

You make a good point on the location. Wasted water does add up, not to mention wait time for hot water.

http://www.htproducts.com/everlast-residential-water-heater.html

• chief
    Options
    The electric rate is .08 off peak .20 on peak. Last fill on the propane was .69 per gallon. I would be doing the install.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    LP would be about 1/2 the cost to run then.
    Those price numbers are pretty good.
  • chief
    Options
    Sounds good thanks.
  • chief
    Options
    Hatterasguy thanks for the feed back. The existing electric is already there. There are 2 mechanical rooms in the basement. So I would only be replacing it. I was planning on insulating the lines from the boiler with 1" high density fiberglass to help.

I have a buderus 50 gallon on our dairy farm that replaced an electric 80 gallon. High demand use and high temperature 175* I am impressed with that units performance. That system also has a heat reclaim tank from the refrigeration system that feeds pre heated water into the indirect which I'm sure helps.
  • chief
    Options
    I agree thank you.