Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Changing Nozzle - Electrode setting adjustment

360dean
360dean Member Posts: 3
I read how to and accessed my oil furnace nozzle, so now I have got the right nozzle replacement ready to install and the electrodes appear to be in very good shape. I expect I will should remove the electrodes as the old nozzle is torqued on pretty good, so I'm thinking it is best to remove electrodes before attempting old nozzle removal. Plus, as the nozzle manufacturer is different, the length may not be identical and so I need to adjust the electrodes

I don’t have any gauge. Can I just measure before electrode dis-assembly and put back same distance on new nozzle?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    yes.... use a 3/4 and 5/8..... no vice grips please... and I hope you used a wrench on nozzle line and not pliers ....
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Still might need to adjust the electrodes, or at least clean them
    steve
    billtwocase
  • 776v63
    776v63 Member Posts: 61
    https://youtu.be/N6i2x08oI4o

I would recommend only handling the nozzle on the hex area intended for a wrench. Lessens the chance of fouling the filter on the back, or orifice on the front.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I always pull them out and replace them. Cheap insurance
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Becket Z Gauge for me. Best 20 bucks I have ever paid for a little piece of plastic.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• 776v63
    Totally agree with Z gauge. I know some guys set them by eye. Definitely not a big fan of that. Why risk it when you can set it perfectly with a gauge?
    Bob Bona_4
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Every set of electrodes I buy has a little aluminum gauge in the bag.

If the points show any signs of wear, they get replaced. Sometimes they have to be bent a bit to set them perfectly.
  • 776v63
    Yep. That's the T gauge. It definitely works, although I think the Z gauge allows for more accuracy, and is easier to use.

I usually change the electrodes once they are burned off so much that you can't bend them close enough anymore, unless the porcelains are really nasty. I like to hear everyone's preferences though. That's how we learn!
    rick in Alaska
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    "T" gauge for me 33 years and counting
    776v63
  • enalkarion
    enalkarion Member Posts: 7
    since I've got a carlin I'm digging there 5 buck plastic setup tool that just slips over the head, put the electrodes in the slots, tighten up and your done.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    and if your changing the brand of nozzle will you be setting this unit up with at least a wet kit? changing the nozzle from spec can change the fire characteristics..