Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Balancing valve

unclejohn
unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
Anybody know where I can get a simple balancing valve or cock 1 1/2 inch. Would rather not use a ball or gate valve.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    what's the application? Simple would be a globe type valve that allows slow and precise movement of the plug. I'm not sure they are much less $$ than an official balance valve with proper design and gauge ports for confirming settings.

Also look for a tapered plug in a globe valve, or a disc designed to provide smooth flow as it is chocked down.

Heating or domestic water?

Here is a quick intro to balancing. It gets a bit more complicated as you design and size valves, I'd be glad to help.

The biggest mistake is oversizing, the valve may not need to be the size of the line you are putting it into, it has a lot more to do with flow rates you need.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    And what sort of flow rates? Necking down to a smaller valve is sometimes indicated.
    wcs5050
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The issue is a old row house in DC appears that it was originally piped front of house back of house. The house has had several renovations over the years mainly to the back section. All near boiler piping to the back is copper most of piping to front is CI. The front of the house return is about 10 to 15* hotter by feel then the back. Plus main reason I was called is several back rads won't heat. After a good 45 min cycle two of the three heat one still has no flow. Customer says he is sure that the rad heated after the last remodel but has not worked in several years. I just want to choke down the front return and try and get more flow to the back od the house. Bothe return lines are 1 1/2 "