Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

R/R Asbestos Insulation, now banging

Options
bvaughn76
bvaughn76 Member Posts: 54
edited November 2015 in Strictly Steam
Hello,

I recently had an asbestos contractor remove the asbestos from my mains in the basement. I had already looked at HD for replacement insulation and was disappointed in the selection and blown away by the price. Anyway, it took a few days, but found insulation online, sized everything up and ordered it. While I waited, the steam heat was noisy, there was definitely banging and my vents were no longer silent. I double checked downstairs and everything seemed to be in order, but one of my condensate line hangers got messed up from when I pitched it last year. I reseated it and had pitch. It was still noisy. I figured it was because the pipes were naked.

I got the insulation and all the sections of pipe are insulated. I have to finish the joints still. I figured the system would be back to it's old quiet self. Not so much. There is still banging and hammering. I put on 1" Fiberglass.

Any ideas on what changed with my new insulation job?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It is most likely still the pitch of a main or some of the radiator run outs. Check to make sure everything is pitched the way it should be. Your asbestos guy may have taken some hangers loose to remove the asbestos and did not repitch the pipes the way they should be.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Were the old hangers under the old insulation connected to the pipe or on the outside of the insulation? But like Fred said the pitch of something got out of whack.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    After you fix your pitch problem, buy insulation from buyinsulationproducts.com

The prices are fair, but get everything you need at once as the shipping is killer. Most feel 1" insulation is the best bang for the buck.

As far as "eh, don't worry about it", I have nothing good to say about that guy. You shouldn't worry about it, but you should replace it.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bvaughn76
    bvaughn76 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    I am fairly sure the main hangers were under the insulation.

I'll have to go around and check the whole system this weekend and check for pitch.

I did notice that the sight glass has clear water in it when off and when heating the water is dirty. Probably should do another skim.

Thanks for the input so far. Was curious if any one had come across other gotchas that might be happening after an asbestos abatement.