Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Primary Secondary - 1 or 2 circulators

MattSwabb
MattSwabb Member Posts: 10
edited November 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I'm looking at what is needed for my future water boiler installation. Currently I have a old boiler with supply and return no bypass connection between. 1 big zone with large rads.

I'm looking at a new boiler and reading on primary and secondary piping. All the circuit diagrams I've seen have a boiler loop with a pump and a pump for each zone. I will have just the 1 zone.

Can it just be as simple as the attached pic? Or do I need a pump in the single zone as well? Or no bypass and just plumb it like before with the boiler circulator pump?

BTW I left off all the other stuff on the circuit, just the basics for this question.

Thanks

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited November 2015
    What boiler are you planning on installing? You have access to some of the best here. Take advantage of it, and start from the beginning.
    njtommy
  • MattSwabb
    We recently purchased a Burnham K2. I have a brand new grundfos pump I have had laying around a few years as a spare for the current boiler. It's no problem to use it in my plan if needed.

Really long term project (maybe next boiler) would be to disconnect all the piping in the basement and replace with pex and creating a few zones in the house. Then it could be plumbed like every schematic see.
  • Paul48
    What size is the K2? How did you size the boiler?
  • MattSwabb
    150,000 BTU. Big house, 77 windows, no insulation, etc.. I used the slantfin calculator and after doing it a few times as well as some others online I felt comfortable with a number of 125,000. The Burnham DOE is 141,000.
  • Paul48
    edited November 2015
    Read and understand the manual. Look at the piping diagrams in the manual. Search "Understanding Primary/Secondary Piping". I suggest you sign up for Taco FloPro University. There is a ton of information available, that you'll need. http://www.comfort-calc.net/primary-secondary_piping_tutorial.cfm