Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Swapping BB for cast iron rad

Options
themow
themow Member Posts: 11
The drawings attached are the first floor of a philadelphia row home. Its a living room kitchen area with two entrances. There is 20ft of sheetmetal baseboard for roughly 424 sqft. It does get up to temp but its slow and generally feels cold. Boiler temp is 180. I have a few spare lengths of cast iron baseboard which I can use and I also have a cast iron radiator that I can use. Its 11 sections 5 tubes and 23 high. 5600BTU if my calculations were correct

You can see in the drawing that my baseboard is lining the L shaped wall. Its not a great location for the baseboard. The front wall does not have heat and is cold. Windows dont seal well.

My idea, remove all baseboard from L shaped wall. Install Ci rad in the L as shown in picture. Add 8ft of sheetmetal rad against front wall. This leaves me with roughly 10400BTU which is still not changing the heat capacity of the room. I however would not like to add more baseboard

So my thoughts/question. The basement is right below this floor. Could I run a length of radiator across the ceiling floor/ joists in the basement along the L sided wall? The floor is old plank wood with laminate over it. Should I be concerned that the kitchen will be cooler than it is now?

My boiler is 140000 btu gas fired and its seriously oversized for the house so I dont think there will be any issues there.

Comments

• themow
    Options
    I would rather use what I have. I have been saving/collecting BB and ci becasue I was planning to make some changes.
    j a_2
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If it were me I would spend the effort on the windows and doors. If you have a boiler that is 100% efficient it really does not matter a bit if the heat is going out the window.
  • themow
    Options
    I agree with you however I dont have the funds to do the windows at the moment. I would have to do all six and thats just not in the cards right now.

Will adding sections of baseboard to the basement ceiling add any to the room above?

Is my plan terrible?
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Got any pictures of the boiler , piping and circ/s ? That may tell a story also , one that has nothing and everything to do with the emitters .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    themow said:

I agree with you however I dont have the funds to do the windows at the moment. I would have to do all six and thats just not in the cards right now.

Will adding sections of baseboard to the basement ceiling add any to the room above?

Is my plan terrible?

Well you don't have to replace them. They do make interior storms that will help seal them up. If nothing else they do have the plastic that will keep the drafts down. When doing a heatloss the #1 factor is air infiltration... not how thick the walls are.

https://www.txu.com/residential/energy-savings-solutions/seal-insulate-windows-project.aspx

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/PaulAcrylicStorms.pdf
  • themow
    Options
    3/4 copper
    one pump three valves, one for each zone.
    continous loop
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Take a few more pics of the boiler and near boiler piping