Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Maintenance Question

Javelin
Javelin Member Posts: 138
Dear Heating Pros,

I try and keep up with the maintenance of my Triangle Tube boiler... I just cleaned out the condensate drain and it was dirtier that I remember.. lots of brown dirt/residue - please see attached photo. Is this normal?

What else do I need to do? Does anyone know anyone in the Philadelphia Area that services these? Might just need a look.

Thanks,
Jay

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    LP or Natural gas?
  • Javelin
    Javelin Member Posts: 138
    Natural gas.
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    They all seem to have some, "coffee grounds". Good news is that they wash down the sides of the hx with the condensate. They are some byproduct of combustion. I was told by Lochinvar that the better the combustion, the less debris, who knows?
  • marymitch
    marymitch Member Posts: 1
    I have not hot water and the E8 Error Code on my Triangle Tube Challenger Combo Boiler & Water Heater Says "-Incorrect Fan Speed". Service folks won't be here till tomorrow (Sunday). Any have any experience with this and can tell me if I can check it. Thanks!
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    You can turn it on and off. Sounds like the fan may be on the way out.
  • Firecontrol933
    Firecontrol933 Member Posts: 73
    Javelin said:

Dear Heating Pros,

I try and keep up with the maintenance of my Triangle Tube boiler... I just cleaned out the condensate drain and it was dirtier that I remember.. lots of brown dirt/residue - please see attached photo. Is this normal?

What else do I need to do? Does anyone know anyone in the Philadelphia Area that services these? Might just need a look.

Thanks,
    Jay

From the looks of it it's just normal byproducts of combustion. It shouldn't be considered normal though IMO, especially if it suddenly gets worse. Improper combustion is "usually" the cause and that can be caused by a list of different things.

I had one produce so much that in less than 3 months it shutdown. Couldn't figure out what was causing it until I came back when the carpenters were there and found out they liked to setup their cutting and sanding operations near the combustion air intake pipe. Installed an inline air filter and the problem went away.

These units need to be set up with a combustion analyzer for proper operation. Things can change that require these adjustments to be changed.