Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Comment on My Boiler Setup!

zackwatt
zackwatt Member Posts: 81
edited November 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I've grown up around steam in this house for over 20 years, and now that I own it, it's time to start learning all the details about steam operation. Finding the Dunham Hand Book was certainly a huge help and I most likely will be ordering the Lost Art of Steam soon. I've been reading tons of information on this site, and have already found a number of opportunities with my relatively young EG-75 boiler that was installed in 2010...

- Insulate pipe work
- Add missing skim port
- Clean, flush, rinse, skim, and treat with Steamaster Tablets
- Possibly Add Vaporstat, and additional gauges (can't have too many gauges ;) )
- Add any option to drive efficiency and comfort

But before all that, I want to make sure I am starting off with no glaring errors in my boiler setup!

Please, let my know your thoughts...

Comments

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    That is a fantastic old system that looks relatively undisturbed. If you are not experiencing any specific problems I would move forward with what you mentioned.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

zackwatt
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    There's tons more reading on the Dunham system in the library so be sure to snoop around.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    zackwatt
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited November 2015
    I can never find the library when I want to, since the new website was implemented.
    If you have a Dunham system, be sure to check the crossover traps for operation, as they are the final gatekeeper txt let the air out.
    These systems thrive on mere ounces of pressure, so a 0-3 psi gauge is essential.--NBC
    zackwatt
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I know. It requires leaving The Wall! :smiley: ) Seriously, new stuff is added from time to time.
    https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/
    https://heatinghelp.com/heating-museum/
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • zackwatt
    Thanks for the input!

The system runs pretty well! It's almost 100% silent.

With my knowledge so far, I'm not sure the condensate tank/pump are really needed or helping. It just seems to delay the condensate return and sometimes can place the boiler in a LWCO scenario.

If you have a Dunham system, be sure to check the crossover traps for operation, as they are the final gatekeeper txt let the air out.

Hmmmm, The only air eliminators I know of are the two Hoffmans...
  • zackwatt
    Steamaster Tablets doing their thing!