Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair or Replace Oversized Steam boiler

Options
JonathanSchutze
JonathanSchutze Member Posts: 1
edited November 2015 in Strictly Steam
I'm new to this forum and have limited background in steam heating other than having read Dan's book and having spent quite a bit of time working on (though not much in the last 10 years) a one pipe steam system for my 1782 farm house.
I have a 2001 Burnham V8 steam boiler (Net I=B=R 933 sqft) heating a radiator system with heating capacity of 580 sqft. Though I set the pressuretrol as low as I can for operating PSI, this boiler is obviously oversized, short cycling quite often through the coldest days of winter because the house is still cool but there is no room for steam in the radiators. At this point my service guy told me that I will need a bit of a major repair of something related to the fire box, maybe replacing the blanket or something like that? So I'm wondering if I should consider a newer, high efficiency, properly sized boiler (I was considering the Burnham mega steam.) The heating guy says it will not make enough of a difference in efficiency to offset the cost, and that it would be better to just do the repair. I'm thinking running a new boiler with a 1.6 gph nozzle will reduce fuel costs substantially compared to the 2.6 gph nozzle my current boiler has, as well as provide a slower, more even heating of my house.
Alternatively, could I consider downsizing the nozzle on my current boiler to attain less volume of steam being pushed into my system?
Thanks for the help