Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How should I plumb the oil coming out of two tanks

Options
rrs26ja
rrs26ja Member Posts: 4
I am about to install a second oil tank. Due to suggestions on this forum, I will be using a separate fill and vent line. I have a question about plumbing the feed from the bottom of the tanks. I was planning on using two 1/2" ball valves after the fireomatic valves. Then plumbing to a tee using 1/2" black iron, then out of the tee with black iron to the filter and then out of filter using the 3/8 copper line that is feeding the burner today. Does this sound okay?

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    My preference is brass for as many fittings as you can. Ball valves are a nice touch so the Fire valves don't wear out. If it's gravity fed I'd use a spin on type filter, any lift go with a Tiger Loop. Heck, do the Loop even on gravity, lots of benefits.

I'm in the crossover fill camp btw. I'm not seeing any issues, but results vary.
  • rrs26ja
    Options
    Thanks Bob, on the brass do I use Teflon tape or the same pipe dope as I used on the black iron?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    Just use dope. Megaloc has served me well.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    From your shut off valves, I would go all copper, with brass flare tees--all flare fittings. If you get done and there's a leak, you'll have to disassemble the black iron.
    Then, General filter, Spin-on with vacuum gauge, oil safety valve (if gravity), sleeved line to burner, firematic at fuel pump.
    If gravity, forget the tiger loop. If you do use the tiger loop, you will have to put the bypass plug into the fuel pump.
    Yes pipe dope, no teflon

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Bob Bona_4
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Options
    The new code here in MA does not allow any ball valves at the oil tank or anywhere else in the fuel supply. The only valve(s) that should be used is one firomatic per tank.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    Marz, does that interpret to a Fire valve must be used (per usual) with no other valves? Bc, if you've met the FV requirement, I see no issue with additional valves. Including checks, which should never be needed. Nothing like that in CT.
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I agree Bob with having additional valves. At the latest code class, it was stated that the firomatic doesn't get "exercised" on a yearly basis, which could cause the valve not to close over 165 degrees. I like to use a bottom out firomatic, and a straight firomatic in front. What does FV mean?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    FV means fire valve. Interesting thought. Stems do stick. And they like to leak too :)
  • rrs26ja
    Options
    You guys make good points. The only reason I was putting in the shut off valves was to further isolate the tanks if I needed to replace a tank or fireomatic valve.