Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One Pipe Steam Radiator: Powder Coating and Valve options?

Options
SteamInWellesley
SteamInWellesley Member Posts: 6
edited November 2015 in Strictly Steam
Long story short: Moved into 1890 colonial with 1 pipe steam radiators. New to steam heating. Former owner painted the radiators including vent and valves. We plan to remove, sandblast, powder coat and reinstall with new valves and air vents.

Questions:

1. Anything I should be aware of when removing, refinishing (sandblasting and powder coating), and reinstalling steam radiators? The powder coating company suggest to leave the nipple and union on the radiator because he plans to powder coat it too. He tells me I can remove the nipple and union if I want so he only powder coats the radiator. Not sure whats best.

2. Are the only valve options for 1 pipe steam radiators the solid brass ones? The air vents come in stainless silver in color. So are there valves that are stainless silver or brass is the only way to go?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Best,

SIW

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    If you want new rad inlet valves then I would remove the valve spud, (nipple & union nut) before painting. Removing them later may leave scars on new paint. Put a plug in the lower spud hole and air vent hole. Don't know about finish for rad valve other than rough brass, must be some somewhere though.

Removing spuds and valves can sometimes be challenging but doable. Both parts must be changed as they are a matched set.
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Put a plug in the lower spud hole and air vent hole.

That's what I did when I had mine refinished earlier this summer, and it worked out well. A new spud was added when the supply valve was installed. Good luck.
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    What is wrong with the original valves? It's often nice to keep the old and sometimes their specific to the type of system you may have. Old and original doesn't not necessarily mean broken.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Yes, they may be fine left in place. They seldom shut off completely if very old, but most of the time are always left on.
    However you would not want paint inside the threads of the union nut or on the face of the spud where it matches up to the valve. (Maybe mask the complete spud while painting??)
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Depends how much work you want to put into the valve, there are options......

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    AbracadabraQuercusLionA29
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    @KC_Jones that valve restoration is beautiful!
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    KC did you get those plated? What about the spud & nut?
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    No I smoothed out the castings with sand paper of various grits all the way down to 1500. Then I buffed them using white rouge. They will tarnish over time, but if I can get my nickel plating set up put together I will be able to re plate them easily since they are smoothed and buffed already. I have a thing for polishing metal. I haven't done anything with the spud or nut, it's tough to do in place and I know getting those spuds out would be very hit or miss. If I ever figure something out I will post it. That valve is missing the original wood handle, though I do have them on a couple of my valves. See attached, and this is with the original nickel plating. This is actually my inspiration for wanting to nickel plate the rest.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    @KC_Jones I visit architectural antique shops every once in a while. We have one here in Dayton, Architectural antiques and Restoration and one in Cincinnati, Wooden Nickel. If I ever come acrose any of those wooden handles, I'm going to pick them up and send them to you.
    KC_Jonesvr608
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Fred I always keep my eyes peeled as well, haven't seen any handles by themselves yet. They are actually pretty fragile and the couple that I still have I have glued back together.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I should also add, my father and I have been examining the ones I do have and think we have figured out how to replicate them and I have figured out how to make the metal backing plates for them. Not true restoration replicas, but should give a similar appearance....and I always have some mahogany laying around.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Fred said:

@KC_Jones I visit architectural antique shops every once in a while. We have one here in Dayton, Architectural antiques and Restoration and one in Cincinnati, Wooden Nickel. If I ever come acrose any of those wooden handles, I'm going to pick them up and send them to you.

I've probably seen you at the old WN on Main St as I work around the corner! You should let me know next time you're down and I could say "hey". I would be fun to meet a fellow Wallie!
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Spud tailpieces are as you said hit and miss. I was very surprised to have the spud wrench actually unscrew some that I was ready to saw out. Or once the inside ears snapped off an internal/insert wrench saved a few more from the saw work.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    If they only made that tailpiece a tiny bit longer you could get a pipe or strap wrench or something on there instead of using the spud wrench. I will figure out a way to polish that tailpiece....I'm pretty stubborn that way.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Great Job KC! Out of curiosity, since I go to architectural salvage places often enough, which brands or demarcations on steam valves should i pay attention to and immediately pick up should i come across any?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    vaporvac said:

Fred said:

I've probably seen you at the old WN on Main St as I work around the corner! You should let me know next time you're down and I could say "hey". I would be fun to meet a fellow Wallie!
    I will do that!
  • Quercus
    Quercus Member Posts: 61
    Options
    KC Jones, that valve is awesome! I am going to pull all my new Danfoss TRV's and polish up my old valves.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    A wire wheel in a bench grinder or cordless drill gets them pretty shinny. Not polished like KC's but fairly attractive.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    KC_Jonesvaporvac