Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Now that we're into the annual service season, here's some photos of the worst of the worst

Options
STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
What do you mean it's rotted, and I need a new boiler? Note in first photo the hole on the left side of the burner.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    Options
    3 cats, litter box next to burner.

• STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Doesnt everyone have to remove a sump pump to service a heater. Couldnt tell you how many cats I saw.

• STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Power venter done right?.....Wrong! (I like the wires and the dryer vent)

• STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Handyman decided to bleed the oil line, forgot to close bleeder

• STEVEusaPA
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Rotted out coil, probably from low water level. Have a video showing the water dripping into the combustion chamber but cant figure out how to download

• STEVEusaPA
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Install from hell....by a friend of the homeowner. This is how I found it right before they were ready to turn it on. This wouldve been ugly.

• STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Oh there's a filter to change?

• STEVEusaPA
    Options
    You could stare at this and just shake your head. The room heater attached to the flue pipe. The zone valves used as check valves, wired to contactors (yellow wires)

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    At least you guys get working room. This is an Ultimate boiler in a closet with an Amtrol boiler mate sitting on a shelf above it. You have to crawl in under the cabinet to the left to access part of the boiler, and either work over the top of the washing machine, or move the very heavy water heater. These kinds of jobs keep me limber!
    Rickimageimage
  • rick in Alaska
    Options
    Can't edit it. Should be; move heavy washing machine.
    Sorry about double picture post.
    Rick
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA yes, there are no shortage of hacks. The latest i find is disconnected or missing vents.
    Btw, which analizer do you use (the case in the picture)?

@rick in Alaska and how many times i have to move a stackable?! I get a call for an on demand water heater not working. Customer asked that i give them a heads up before i come over so they can pull out the stackable and remove the door to the closet. With the stackable in the closet there was just enough room between the side of the machine and the wall to fit the tankless. You couldn't even hit the reset button!
    :NYplumber:
  • rick in Alaska
    Options
    Bet we could have a whole section just on crappy boiler locations. Keeps us young, right?
    I go home and my wife wants me to do exercises with her, like yoga or something. Seriously? I do that all day long. lol
    Rick
    NYplumber
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    @NYplumber That's the UEI C 155. I had it for 4 years now, free 5 year warranty/calibration ($35 shipping) and was working great up to this year. Just returned from checkup in September. All the numbers are almost identical to previous years when I test, except CO and CO air free are 2-3 times higher. So I'm sending it back and either using my backup Testo (which is ready for retirement) or buying the Bacharach Insight

• NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Check out the enerac 500. Puts the testo and bacharach on the back bench.
    :NYplumber: