Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MST 396 Work In Progress

Options
hvacfreak2
hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
edited November 2015 in Strictly Steam
I got a late start on replacing the failed V-7 in my house this year due to a busy summer . I don't have any great pictures of the original boiler , just a heroic single 2 inch tapping that rose up 5 feet into an old header tight to the floor joists.

Poorly piped V-7's and drunk owners just don't last long together , both are on a highway to destruction with their foot to the floor. The V-7 out lasted me by 1 year , lol.

The wreckage of the past behind me ( along with the yahoo piped oil tank and the wet return with pipe just laying on the floor ) , here is where I'm at. I did not have the money or the time to seek out the Victorian antique cast iron fittings that I see on here , my header is constructed of rusty fittings that our plumbers had laying around. The last one has grey paint on it , it probably belongs to Washington Gas or something lol.

I have to connect the end of main drips tomorrow and get started on oil and water supply. The weather has been kind to me on this ( thank you Lord ) but I need to hustle. I'll scrounge some valves by next year , money and time ran out for those. Anyway , nothing fancy but I think I have a good start.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Great work!

That should produce nice dry steam and save you some money on the oil it uses.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • hvacfreak2
    Options
    Thanks guys , appreciate the comments.

I modified the pipe kit to suit the 2 1/2 fittings that I had. And I hope to save alot of money from the single tapping clogged pin beast. The owner / operator has been re piped as well.

I have thoughts of getting snowed in and spending some quality time insulating that , one thing at a time lol.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• hvacfreak2
    Options
    Had a few adjustments to make when I saw the first photo from this view. Light , shadow , and the old system seem to want to tweak my piping. What was straight yesterday is tweaked today kind of thing , lol.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Looks good. Make sure the system is tight with good air vents.
    :NYplumber:
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Really nice clean work, I like how everything squares away nicely
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    Your Pressuretrol is also crooked. ;)

It may be the picture but, it looks like your header is pitched back towards the risers instead of towards the equalizer?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options

Thanks guys , appreciate the comments.
    I have thoughts of getting snowed in and spending some quality time insulating that , one thing at a time lol.

It's always nice to spend some quality time with one's boiler! :) Beautiful job, btw. Another inspiration.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • hvacfreak2
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks everybody , much appreciated. I didn't have a plan I just dove in and started turning. The system connections ended up right in the header kind of , and it forced me to be more accurate than I wanted to have to be.

The header is just cutting into the bubble with the low side toward the equalizer. The lighting and the fact that my iphone seems to take weird pictures of the piping down there maybe.

I'm almost finished with the steel pipe , hopefully I can get the other stuff done faster.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    That's a beautiful job!!
  • hvacfreak2
    Options
    Piping is done ( oil , water , steam , flue ) , still have high and low voltage work to do.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

Fred
  • Fred
    Options
    It's looking Great!
    Stangob
  • hvacfreak2
    Options
    Thanks Fred.

The reducer on the flue pipe was a little large on the 6 inch side ( 3 screws jammed into the top of it ). Time to build a fire.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Nice looking job!
  • mookie3333
    mookie3333 Member Posts: 83
    Options
    #1. what's the plate on the right top of the boiler, with the brass nipple sticking out? Whats the purpose of that whole plate? I have the same...

#2. Could you please take a side pic of your LWCO?

#3. I'm sorely jealous. Install looks awesome.
  • Fred
    Options
    #1. what's the plate on the right top of the boiler, with the brass nipple sticking out? Whats the purpose of that whole plate? I have the same...
    @mookie3333 , that plate is where a hot water coil would go, if you choose to but one in, the plate comes off. Why they put the brass nipple on there, I'm not sure but someone on here will know.
  • hvacfreak2
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you very much Bob.

Thanks mookie3333 , the brass well is for an aquastat to fire the boiler on a call for domestic hot water. I didn't get the tankless coil but the aquastat comes with the package. I was playing with the idea of using it to control water temp. for skimming since I have it anyway. It's just acting as a pipe plug at the moment. Also , I was not on anyone's clock doing this so I had time to do some stuff that might not be typical ( IF my install looks better ) , but I'm like anyone else and appreciate the compliment . I'd be fired on this job in the real world , lol.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• hvacfreak2
    Options
    Fire in the hole bros !!! We got heat !!! , Well at least for 1 cycle.

Mookie , are you a Ravens fan by chance ? :smile:

I checked the dimensional settings , set the air at starting position , set fuel pressure and let er eat for a couple of cycles. I'm going to save up some scratch and see if I can get a real burner man to set this up. I will dial in the smoke and stack temp and draft checks tomorrow , but my best is really only close. Burners are a " craft " , I got my thing and burners aint it. But man it really was cool watching her run . Oh , if anyone ever pipes one of these don't forget to plug the optional front return opening , lol.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Beautiful you also got plenty of room to install King valves......You won't be disappointed ask @Hatterasguy
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Nice work...
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    Options
    Nice job sir. BTW, I see a Cyclegard displayed in all its glory...is that staying in the installation or are you replacing it with a Safgard?
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    The Dude a-bided.
    hvacfreak2
  • hvacfreak2
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you all.
    vr608 said:

Nice job sir. BTW, I see a Cyclegard displayed in all its glory...is that staying in the installation or are you replacing it with a Safgard?

It's just the cover. It was a reply to a previous post and just some bad humor overall , I can't stand that device.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    Options
    Yea, its a shame that the Safgard doesn't come standard. I believe they cost the same, so price shouldn't be an issue.
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Fantastic Install! Amazing work!

I had really wanted a pair of Megasteams with gas burners on them.... but that didn't happen. WM 680 instead.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • hvacfreak2
    Options
    Shoot , thanks Dave. I just did what I read on here , and Dan H. since the early 1990's. And thank goodness the weather held out for me on this. Your system in your signature line sounds intense.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• hvacfreak2
    edited December 2015
    Options

New lwco and thermometer.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• hvacfreak2
    Options
    Older stuff .
    1.JPG 152.9K
    2.JPG 122.9K
    3.JPG 139.6K
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller