Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming boiler

NYwoman
NYwoman Member Posts: 26
How do I maintain the temperature at below steaming rate. ? My boiler instructions does not indicate. Thank you.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    You run the boiler till it's not but not boiling and shut it down. After you remove a gallon of water turn the boiler on for a few minutes to reheat. No need to be precise just don't let it start to boil.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    I would offer you might not even need to re-fire the boiler after it's hot. I skimmed mine for 3-4 hours at a time and even after that amount of time the water coming out was scalding hot still. That cast iron will hold a lot of heat.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    vaporvac
  • NYwoman
    The water is clear. Is that normal?
  • KC_Jones
    edited November 2015
    Yes. It won't look like much of anything. You are probably expecting to see something or have some kind of ahha moment, but it's pretty uneventful. Just let it go for several hours and see what happens. You won't really know how good you did until you fire the boiler up and use it. And make sure the water if flowing SLOWLY.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • NYwoman
    Update! I spent from 830pm to 2:30am skimming the boiler. It worked no noises anymore!!! I took a sample of the water and still has oil and it is foaming. But not noise, I will skim it again! Can you believe that I went to a local big company (Balckman) and they did not want me to sell the materials to build the skimmer? They said that the problem was in the radiators! Thank you all of you for your help!!!!
  • KC_Jones
    Just goes to show how few people know anything about steam systems. In my opinion they are beauty in simplicity, but if you aren't an "artist" it's difficult to appreciate or understand that beauty. Good to hear it's improving! Apparently none of the contractors that supply house deals with have ever heard of skimming....sad as its a fairly simple task that makes a HUGE difference in system performance.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • pjnick
    pjnick Member Posts: 18
    so on another post a couple of guys where saying you can skim the boiler when its cold is that right ?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    I usually start cold and then heat the boiler up after I collected a couple of gallons, just don't let it start to boil.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • arbalest
    arbalest Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2015
    NYwoman said:

The water is clear. Is that normal?

Since I am going through this now (in another thread) I will add my observation. I fill alternating buckets (5 gallon cat litter pails) from the skim drain and I dip an instant read kitchen thermometer in the top of each full bucket.

I noticed that when the temperature gets down to 160F the water is very clear. But then I run the boiler to get the temp back up to 180F or so, and the water starts looking like weak tea again.
    NYwoman
  • NYwoman
    Update. I skimmed the boiler twice but the banging comes back so I have been removing only the dirty water until today that I am planning to skim it again. On Tuesday, I used Turbo Jet as a wand to wash the boiler inside. The water came out black and is still coming out black unlike before.

The problem that I have seen now is that the system turns on for 5 minutes shuts down for another five or so and then goes back on again for at least four times until the house is warm.

Is this due to the dirt or is it another problem that I have?
  • KC_Jones
    Need to know what is shutting it down, it's either pressure or low water. Is the water in the sight glass dropping and putting it into low water when this happens? If not than it's possibly cutting out on pressure. You may be able to hear the pressuretrol click when this happens. Need more information to help with a diagnosis.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    I was just looking at your pics again. What size is the pipe coming out of the boiler, it looks like 2" and it should be 2 1/2". Keep in mind 2" pipe measures 2 3/8" outside diameter. 2 1/2" pipe measures 2 7/8" outside diameter. If they used 2" pipe that could be contributing to the issues as it will suck the water out of the boiler and send it out into the system causing banging and low water. Measure the pipe and post back.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    pjnick said:

so on another post a couple of guys where saying you can skim the boiler when its cold is that right ?

It truly is not the most difficult or critical thing you will ever do...sounds like you got a good handle on it....After you get it to where you want no need for further skimming