Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Duct Sealing Omnibot?

Options
Therm_lag
Therm_lag Member Posts: 30

Hi,
I have a residential client with discomfort complaint and I've ruled out insulation defects and don't believe air leakage would explain what is described. Performance testing (pressure pan and velometer) suggests there may be large openings in ducts.
Aero-seal is not first choice for large openings. Another practice, letting a "creeper" that is remotely controlled enter ducts, would seem best. See lloydssystems.com. I believe the Omnibot is for larger ducts though problems are as likely in small branch ducts.
I'd like to hear experience with Omnibot, especially as I also work modest commercial buildings that have larger ducts and duct leak problems.
Aeroseal, developed by Mark Modera at LBNL, has years in the field now, and is great to have available for ducts behind fiishes. Rather than "one size fits all" I believe that mastic/tape/caulk and simply fastening ducts that were not installed well may satisfy most leak problems, then negotiate a good price for additional work like AeroSeal or open finishes to get seal work done.