Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I swear I looked before I asked...

Options
Looked at 1950s vintage steam boiler today. It was a single pipe system, 5 "zones" 3 radiators per zone, 4 column radiators. As this was a tenant space I could not get exact measurements on the radiators.
The boiler located in the basement, had every data plate, sticker etc... removed. Why? I have no idea. The building owner wants to replace.
Can someone take a look at the pictures included and give a guy that normally does commercial hot water a clue on this boilers approximate output? Make, model etc...

Ike Gatlin
PS. I also counted 4 sections in the boiler.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    You need to measure the radiation it's the only way to properly size it. I should also add their current boiler is piped wrong.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Probably a longshot but does the owner have plans and specs for the building? They should have details on the radiation. Otherwise, have the owner get into the apts. and take pictures and measure the installed radiation.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,704
    Options
    As everyone said, you need to measure the radiation.

Relax and take your time, steam is a whole lot easier than you think.

And we all thank you for not trying to convert it to hot water.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • IkeGatlin
    IkeGatlin Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the input... I realized that the piping has a problem, no loop. I wouldn't try to convert this to hot water... If I did, my gut tells me I am going to "live" with it for the rest of my life. It is highly unusual to run across a steam boiler in a residence in Nashville TN. I have the mechanical contractor I am working with going back to get the radiator data.
    As for HeatingHelp... I love this place, unfortunately for the past 7 years I was selling commercial in Las Vegas. Good to be back home working with smaller contractors in a reasonably paced market. BTW... I did use up quite a few "Deadmen" stickers on projects I was involved with in LV....

Ike Gatlin