Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flushing a two pipe direct return hot water system.

Options
Call_Me_Al
Call_Me_Al Member Posts: 7
I am replacing an old 80% efficeint boiler with a Triangle Tube Prestiege boiler. Do I need to flush the system before I install the new boiler? If so, How do flush an old piping system with take offs to each radiator? Any suggestions.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Start with what we call a power flush, which is really just hooking the domestic water supply to one side of the heating system. Connect a hose to the other side and run that to a drain or outdoors. Flush until you see clear water coming out the hose. If you have zones or radiator valves, close them off and then re-open one at a time to direct as much flow as possible through each circuit.

After that, you pretty much need a purge cart or a pump, plus a bucket or barrel, preferably with some kind of a screen or filter in-line with the returning water from the system. Excellent hydronic cleaning agents are available from Rhomar or Fernox.

Is there any steel or iron in the old system? If so, I would add a magnetic dirt separator to the low point of the return line, just before it turns up to connect to the boiler return.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    If you want to clean the system thoroughly use Fernox F3 cleaner after the new boiler is in place and run it through the system for a couple a days and then refill and bleed and run the system for maybe a 1/2 hour and flush and fill again