Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

National Radiator (Art) EDR calcs

Options
I had been doing my EDR calcs on my radiators (~1935 house) and found that nothing was really matching the standard charts (the widths and lengths of the sections didn't seem to match the standard tables). Essentially what I have seems to be smaller than the thin tubes. Finally after looking through old radiator catalogs in The Museum, I realized the American Radiator ARCOs seemed to match the dimensions. Later I learned that Burnham Slenderized radiators should also be a pretty close match to ARCOs.

Finally I took a real close look at a radiator and by picking off a little paint and saw "NATIONAL ART RADIATOR" which I interpret to mean National Radiator's Art line. I haven't seen the Arts in any available online radiator calculator. Most catalogs I've seen are no more recent than the early 1930s.

Here's the numbers I came up with using ARCO tables:

3.5” wide x 1.5” long (40 sections = 60 inches) 3 tube radiator, 19” high = 1.1 sq ft/section
3.5” wide x 1.5” long 3 tube radiator, 22” high = 1.3 sq ft/section
4.75” wide x 1.5” long 4 tube, 19” high = 1.4 sq ft/section

Does any one have Art values and know if they differ at all from ARCOs?
Steaming along slowly in Wharton, Morris County, NJ.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If they are cast iron and match the dimensions of the ARCOs, the EDR is going to be the same. Do you have a copy of Dan's Radiator EDR book ? You can buy a copy in the store on this site. A handy reference tool to have on hand.