Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Power vent repair or replace?

Options
Tombato
Tombato Member Posts: 1
I have a 5" field control power vent unit that is 10 yrs old now. I realize that I'm lucky that I haven't had to replace it yet. recently the piping started to vibrate and get more noisy when its on. I checked the piping for looseness which was fine and then pulled of the vent motor and found that the blower wheel is very rusty, rotting and at least one of the blades are missing which I'm sure is causing excess vibration. the motor was a little dirty but seems to operate fine. I would like to resolve as cheap as possible but will spend what I have to. do you think I can get away with just replacing the blower wheel, the motor assembly with a new wheel or the whole venter assembly? thanks for your time.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Oil the motor (if applicable), and new blower wheel is the cheapest, but I would just get the new motor/blower wheel, which BTW, for 'just a motor'...pretty pricey.
    You have to pull that once a year, clean the blower wheel, oil the motor (if applicable)
    steve
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Sounds like the stainless SWG? Is the mounting plate round? Get the motor assembly, and clean the fan prover tube while you are in there