Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Time to remodel, but only if it works as well as now!

Options
ctjomac
ctjomac Member Posts: 52
It's been awhile since we installed our new boiler and near boiler piping and it performs fantastic thanks to your part in the design of my drop header and all the near boiler piping.
Now ....we are looking at making some use able space in the basement, but it would require moving a return line. That's why I'm back to see if I can gain some more knowlege.

I have 1 pipe steam with 2 fairly equal mains and returns, about 24 feet out and 24 feet back. The returns are high and drop straight down about 4 feet from the boiler then attach to on e another before going up to the hartford loop. I did this so I wouldn't have much of a mud leg. Three years later we want to have more usable space, so here we go again.

Is it acceptable to have one return have a short 4 foot horizontal mud leg (?) And relocate the other low along the floor for about 22 feet? Will the system still have good balance and will the quality of performance be sacrificed? Or will ever thing still work as it should?

Thanks Joe

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    As long as both are below the Normal water line of the boiler, there won't be any effect on performance. Of course you realize that 22 ft return will be filled with water, all the time, right? I'd make sure I had a way to flush those returns (especially the long one) from both ends.