Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas fired boiler cracked, can it be patched

Options
rg8407
rg8407 Member Posts: 1
I have a gas fired boiler for steam heat and its cracked. Its about 35 years old. We are going to remodel and separate the heat into zones for each apartment in the house. Is it possible to patch the boiler to get another year or two out of it? I can then begin the process of changing heat. Right now there are framing changes that will be made and a possible addition.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    If it's cracked it's dead and needs replaced there really isn't anything that can be done. If the crack or hole is above the water line you could MAYBE baby it through for a while, but you will be replacing it. I did this for a couple months with my old one, but I can't really say what will work for you.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Honestly, if it's your boiler you can try anything you want...I would venture to say no heating guy would attempt to patch it and warrant it..If and only if the crack is on a flat surface and you attempt it,make sure you stop drill the crack on both ends...a flat patch installed with wet sealant and some blind rivets or rivnuts might work...FYI there are tons of commercial aircraft flying around with repaired cracks, patches,all over the place...you would be amazed...In fact some airplanes had so many that they were held to minimum altitude, they put them on short routes...like the old eastern airlines shuttle between Boston and New York...