Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boiler for 2-family house

Options
ll-john
ll-john Member Posts: 3
Howdy -
I'm in contract to buy, renovate and rent out a 2-family house in Peekskill, NY. Current oil boiler (and chimney) is very old and in poor shape. System is 2-zones, one for each unit, with baseboards. Each unit is 3 bedrooms with one bath. Total house sqft is about 2500.

Some thoughts running through my mind:
- Installing 2x combi boilers and having tenants paying utilities will probably be techncially easy and reduce their energy usage vs. including heat/hw in the rent.
- Condensing and/or power-vent will let me avoid lining the badly degraded brick chimney

Love to hear any recommendations from the group!
John

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    HTP, offers some great products
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Selecting the correct boiler and installing it correctly is the most important part...I am sure you know that
  • ll-john
    ll-john Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Cool - I'm speaking with several plumbers and will ask specifically about the HTP. My inclination to go with combi is definitely on price, but also because I'd like to keep things simple and split the utilities out by unit. If I have a separate HW heater and boiler, that's 4x burners vs 2 that need maintenance etc. I definitely like the idea of a smaller boiler w/indirect or buffer tank. The ability to simplify the plumbing configuration is definitely appealing (avoid p+s piping and additional circulator?)

Thank you!
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Including heat and hot water in this case may not be a bad thing . 1 boiler , 1 indirect water heater , 2 circs ( 1 for each apartment) . Spending 3 xs money to generate another gas bill is usually not prudent . it is done often though because of the money factor on a monthly basis . What are others charging or adding to rent for including heat and hot water ? Many possible tennants will see this as a bargain while all the while you could possibly have the lion's share of your gas bill paid by others without screwing them , might I add
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833