Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slantfin vs Utica vs Burnham

lp96
lp96 Member Posts: 1
I have three quotes for a new gas steam boiler. I am having a difficult time assessing the quotes since they are all for boilers from different manufacturers -Slantfin, Utica, Burnham . Which boiler is preferable in terms of reliability, efficiency, and warranty?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    What models? Did they measure the radiators or are they just going to use the same size as what you have now?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    It's not so much about the boiler as it is the installer. Getting the correct installer I would say is about 90% and which boiler is about 10%. I will say this the Utica has the side tappings which are even more sensitive to correct near boiler piping and most on this site shy away from them. As Bob said did any of them measure all the radiators and size according to that? Did any of them assess the entire systems? Did any of them ask about your comfort? Did any ask how the system is running now? Keep in mind a PROPERLY installed steam system should be essentially silent and heat evenly throughout the house. Did any of the installers ask about any of that? If not I would probably dismiss all of them.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    edited October 2015
    Which boiler is preferable?
    Your preferred boiler is the one that matches your total EDR, they are all cast iron with the same controls, and when they are piped correctly and vented correctly you have the best system in town, so your preferred boiler is the one that matches your radiation, do you know your EDR?
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Me I always liked peerless....but they all are capable of failing....How it's piped,sized,gassed, vented, will not keep a relay,vent dampener,low water cutoff, thermostat,gas valve,ignition system from failing...most boilers use the same manufactures controls...Get your installer to provide previous pictures of his installs and post them, then pick 3 questions from one of Dans steam books,and test him...maybe some of the others can post a few questions with expected answers...Make sure he has a license, and will follow all local code,get a copy of his insurance papers and everyone who enters your home is covered,including the removal guy