Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler cycling

Options
jman1970
jman1970 Member Posts: 3
I just purchased a my first house. The house came with a GSA Gas-Fired Steam Boiler. A couple of weeks ago, we had a cold weekend. The boiler wouldn't kick on. I reset the damper using the tiny button, and the boiler kicked on. The boiler keeps shutting itself off after about 5-10 minutes, and then will cycle back on after about 10 minutes, but doesn't seem to stay on long enough to hear up all of the radiators. The pressure gauge is constantly reading 0 psi. If I reset the damper, the boiler kicks on, but again only temporarily.

Comments

• jbmoff
    jbmoff Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Not an expert here, but I have had some experience with steam in my current and previous homes. You will probably have to post a little more information here. Most of the guys are EXTREMELY helpful and know their stuff, but they also need you to provide many details.

Short cycling can come from many aspects....

Just a quick note - even though it just may be the damper control:
    Many pressure gauges, especially if they are the ones that are installed with the new boiler (hence with the plumbing code), cannot measure the ounces of steam on which many systems actually operate, so it is hard to tell if that gauge is accurate.
    I also know if your main lines are not vented properly, short cycling can occur...as well as when your boiler is too big for the connected load. Usually, I believe, the boiler runs a bit longer than 5-10 minutes if the above is a part of your problem.

Good Luck!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    jman1970 said:

If I reset the damper, the boiler kicks on, but again only temporarily.

Are you resetting the damper or the spill switch on the draft hood? Take a picture of what you are resetting so we can see. If it's the spill switch you have a blocked chimney and need to get that fixed.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    jman1970
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Is the pressure gauge hooked up to the same pigtail the pressuretrol is? Pigtails get clogged so if the gauge isn't on the same pigtail it could be plugged and as was noted above you don't know if that gauge is any good.

Post some pics so we can se what your dealing with.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jman1970
    Options
    I removed and tested the gauge. It is working. I fired the boiler again, having to hit the reset button on the damper to do it, and again it stayed on for about 10 minutes, then cut out. I removed the cover from the pressurtrol for easier viewing.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    That's the spill switch. That senses when combustion temperature is coming out the bottom of the draft hood. If that is working properly (sounds like it is) you have a blocked or partially blocked flue and dumping combustion gases into your house. You should STOP resetting it and get your chimney looked at or check it yourself. You should not feel anything coming out the bottom of that draft hood if you do that is confirmation that you are spilling combustion gas into the basement.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    jman1970
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    Please have a professional come out before someone dies.

This is very dangerous and indicates a plugged flue condition.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    jman1970
  • jman1970
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am getting the chimney swept asap!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    Be careful, finding a good chimney man is harder then finding a good HVAC guy.

Also, other things can cause this besides a plugged flue such as a strong exhaust fan in another room.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I agree that can be a dangerous situation if the flue has a blockage, don't try and run the boiler till that is fixed.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    jman1970