Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smith 8 Series Leaking?? Photos Included. And warranty question.

Options
Hello,

We are entering our first heating season in our new to us old house. I've been having an issue with the boiler shutting off on LWCO and taking a long to time for all of the water to return. We had a rotted return section replaced and still having issues.

Today I filled it all the way up past the top of the glass and thought I was in the clear when I didn't see water pouring out. Gave it a quick vacuum and noticed the spots of water shown in the photos. It appears to be at seams. Is this a cracked boiler?

If it is cracked, how difficult is the smith warranty to navigate not knowing who the original installer was or the history of service before we bought the house? Am I correct in my assumption from the serial number that this was made in 2004?

imageimage

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Fire up the boiler and see if you get any steam coming out. That copper header is a sorry sight.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    You can always call up smith with the serial number
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    If you talk to Smith, I would not mention the copper connections for the steam piping above the water line nor the fact that you had water leaking on the return pipes (probably for a long time).

These issues may be noted in the fine print of a warranty and void any warranty remaining after 11 years.
    "Failure to follow recommended piping instructions....etc"
    "Excessive fresh water added to boiler........etc"

Things to consider for the new boiler you might own and items your installer should be aware of for your best interest.
  • chadcola
    chadcola Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

I was able to run my hand just above the water area with the boiler running and didn't feel any steam, I also didn't see anything. The spot is still there and appears damp 24 hours since last running.

I've checked all connection to radiators but didn't find anything horribly lose to account for the gallons of added water. Also don't see any steam rising out of chimney. This seems like a great mystery to track down to leak source.
    j a_2
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Do you have any returns running under the cellar floor? Also if they used copper on any of the radiator runs there could be bad joint inside a wall, any signs of excess moisture in the attic?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • chadcola
    Options
    BobC nothing is run under the floor. All of the remaining pipe I can see is iron/threaded. Most if not all runs to the second floor are exposed and painted in the downstairs rooms.

Won't be home till mid week but will check the attic then.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Also when you talk to Smith don't mention that you are not the original owner (it can be used as an excuse not to honor the warranty). If they ask about the original installer just say they went out of business and you don't remember the name. They're only white lies to get the manufacture to own up to there own warranty. Don't feel bad. In the big picture however, that copper needs to be taken out and re-piped in iron. At that point you may just want to replace the whole boiler. All you may get from Smith is a prorated new block and you will still have to pay labor. They may give you a discount on a new boiler though.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Unfortunately, they don't make the Series 8 any more.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    SWEI said:

Unfortunately, they don't make the Series 8 any more.

My bad, I didn't re-read the post. In that case they should discount a new boiler. Still say that you are the original owner though.
  • chadcola
    Options
    I think I found the source of water loss.
    At the very end of a disgusting dirt filled crawl space is a 3/4" vent with water coming out the top. The vent is just after the last pipe leaves the main to go to a radiator on the second floor. After the vent it makes a u turn and returns back.

Tomorrow night I crawl back with a new vent.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you found the leak. Crawl spaces can be a little spooky and always filthy but there are worst places.

Many years ago my brother in law was out of work when the septic system started to back up. He pulled off the cover and saw the level was too high. Being broke and inventive he eyed #1 son who had just gotten his new handsaw rusty by leaving it out in the woods for a week. #1 son was about 14 and built like a rail.

He got the sump pump out of the cellar and pumped out what he could reach but knew he had to go lower. He grabbed #1 son and lowered him into said manhole while 31 son was holding the sump pump in his outstretched arms. #1 son protested vehemently, brother in law told him if he dropped that pump he would drop him.

After getting the level down we rodded out the feed pipe while #1 son hosed himself off. #1 son remembers that episode in self reliance to this day.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge