Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless Boiler/water heater combo

Options
Hello,

I need a new boiler, I have a closed loop hot water radiator system. I was thinking of going with a tankless boiler/water heater combo to save space and increase overall efficiency. Can someone recommend a good one. I have a 2100sq ft house with 2.5 baths. Also, someone mentioned that the boiler does not get the water hot enough sometimes for the boiler to be sufficient to circulate through the whole entire loop. Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Do you currently have a boiler and separate water heater ? Have you entertained the thought of having a heat loss and blower door performed to figure out what you actually need in the way of boiler sizing ? These 2 steps are the very first steps you should take .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    is thereanklee a piping diagram for tankless heaters used for hydronic heating loops?
    I have seen when closing the loop, like a resirc pump on a tankless heater starts to gain expansion problems, and has typically needed a storage tank. Plus returning hot water complicates the tankless water heaters firing range. you'd need to bring the water up from cold, then coast it at a low fire while trying to keep the loops set point.
    basically, does a tankless heater really utilize less space for hydronic heating?
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Combi units are good for mechanical rooms of minimal size. Rinnai has an nice lineup of these that perform well. However, since combis utilize flat plate heat exchangers for domestic hot water, for the most part, they require cleaning/flushing in addition to burner maintenance. If there is room, a high efficiency boiler in connection with an indirect water heater is a better, lower maintenance installation. As to "someone's" comment about losing temperature through the loop, there are many factors affecting that. First thing to do is have a heat loss calculation done on the home so the new boiler is properly sized.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Navien has a good unit, where are you located?