Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2-PIPE STEAM RADIATOR MISSING

Options
I KNOW I HAVE A TWO PIPE STEAM STUDOR SYSTEM. I HAVE THE CROSS OVER CONNECTION AT THE ENDS OF THE STEAM MAINS BRINGING IN THE DRY VENT AND THEN DROPPING TO THE FLOOR IN LOOP. -------PREVIOUS OWNER OF THE HOME REMOVED THE RADIATOR (57" WIDE FROM PIPE TO PIPE) ON THE SECOND FLOOR LANDING. IS IT CORRECTT TO THINK THIS MUST BE REPLACED? OTHERWISE, WHERE IS THE STEAMING GOING THAT SLAMS INTO THE CAPPED OFF PIPE?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    That steam supply pipe is filled with air, that can't escape, so there is no steam slamming into the capped pipe.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    It would be as if you had a rad valve completely off.
    Steam would slam something if it met some water on it's journey. What pressure does your system run at?

That was a pretty large rad, maybe under a window on the landing?
  • simon_skove
    simon_skove Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I used the wrong terminology. There is no slam or bang at this location. I was wondering if this is capped off am I leaving other radiators abandoned. But now thinking it through....I am not. The comment about it being like a rad valve completely closed. And yes, this is under a very large window.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Perhaps you had a series connection in mind? Think in parallel connections. As winter comes that radiator might be missed. It probably stopped a draft from coming down the lower staircase to the first floor. But maybe it is a newer window than original.
  • simon_skove
    simon_skove Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Oh, this is my second upcoming winter with this house and the no radiator. And you are exactly right, this is on the second floor landing, under a winder at the bottom of the steps to the third floor. Now for the search to find a source for columnar radiators.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Did you check this site on the Buy, sell, barter section.
    And depends where you live.