Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Knob -- Help!

Options
Hi, I'm new so I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong category.

I am completely out of ideas for where to look. I have a steam radiator in my apartment. When I first moved in I messed with the valve (I think it was the valve) and it shot off and steam went everywhere and now I'm sort of terrified of them. There is a different knob on the bottom that has close and open with arrows telling me which way to turn them.

Now to my question... After the debacle I went around and closed every radiator. Now it's to fall, and I'm opening them, but I'm scared of turning the knob too much because of the possibility this would shoot off or fall off or something! Should the knob spin several times around, and should I just turn it until it stops for open? Or do I just turn it so that is isn't on the tight close?

Thank you SO much in advanced.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    Can you give us some pictures of these valves?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • grettann
    grettann Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Sorry about that! This is the guy I'm confused about how far to turn it.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If this is a one pipe system, and I'm assumming it is since the thing that flew off was probably the vent on the side of the radiator, opposite this valve, this valve should either be all the way open (it may turn two or three times) or all the way closed. If you want steam in that radiator, the valve has to be all the way open so that condensate can return back down that pipe.
  • grettann
    grettann Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much! I just turned it and while it went around probably ten times, it did eventually stop. Thanks again!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    That is a relatively new valve in steam/dog years ;) Legend made in Taiwan. Fair economy valve. You should have no fear operating it. Either all the way open or all the way off.....no in between or there will be problems.

Do you have only one pipe connected to each radiator?

The thing that flew off is most likely the air vent as mentioned above.

Could you post a picture of the vent so we could see the threads on the end. Also the hole it came out of. Assuming you are a tenant, the building super should fix this for you.

Hatterasguy
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    grettann said:

I messed with the valve (I think it was the valve) and it shot off and steam went everywhere

From your description, it sounds like the system may be running at far too high a pressure.
    JUGHNE
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    I'm thinking the bonnet on the radiator valve came loose or came off. Loose bonnet + unscrew valve stem too much = bonnet coming off.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Picture would clarify that.

Landlord should fix that. (Or does that happen everywhere?)

It is a potentially dangerous situation, there was some news story of fatalities caused by oxygen displacement by steam.
    (that would be an extreme situation where a sealed up room completely filled with steam)

So if nothing else keep that lower valve completely off until little air vent is securely installed.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    She says she "Messed" with the valve and it came off. But know she wants to turn the REAL valve on (the one that says "Open and Close". I'm sure she turned the vent until it completely unscrewed.