Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler warm up

Flip
Flip Member Posts: 40
Does any one know of a control to slowly warm up a residential CI steam boiler.

Comments

• What would be the purpose of such a thing?--NBC
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553
    I'm interested as well, what are you thinking the benefit will be?

Easier on the block?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Flip
    NBC, would like to use it in the early or late part of the season when the boiler is cooling down in the afternoon when it is off and then starting in the night cold.

Chris J, exactly
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Setting you thermostat to 3 cycles per hour would accomplish that and in the colder months set it back to 1
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553
    Odd.

I run 1 CPH until we're consistently below 40, then I go to 2 CPH and if we're going to be below 10F I go to 3 CPH.

Works awesome with the EcoSteam.

I'm curious if the cast iron block really cares about large temperature swings. I've got a feeling it doesn't?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Depends ! A lot of boilers with modulating burners have a control called low fire hold. It prevents the burner from going balls out until it warms up nice and slow on low fire.
    bob
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Wow! I wasn't aware of that @bob. Sounds perfect for a vacuum system.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Makes sense if the boiler were super cold, like in a house where the utililtes have been off and the water is (or has started to) freeze. Other wise, the boiler remains pretty warm anyway between cycles. It takes a few hours for boiling water to cool down. In the case of super cold water, heating cast iron fast can cause fractures and/or cracks. Put a cast iron skillet in the refrigerator overnight and then stick it in a pre-heated oven. It will crack. Put the same skillet in a cold oven and let the oven heat up as the skillet warms, no problem. I know from experience. :)
  • Flip
    How about this, the boiler has a step opening valve on it, Is there a way to keep the valve on the lower setting until the boiler reaches a predetermined temp.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Flip said:

How about this, the boiler has a step opening valve on it, Is there a way to keep the valve on the lower setting until the boiler reaches a predetermined temp.

I really think you're worried about a situation that just isn't a concern. A boiler block (and the water in it) will stay nice and warm for many hours, at least 10 or 12 hours for sure. I've skimmed my boiler over night, about 12 hours with a trickle of cold supply water running into the boiler that whole time and in the morning, the water trickling out of the boiler is still warm. You're just not going to shock that cast iron under typical heating season/shoulder season conditions.