Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Vent Question

Hello All,
Attached is a picture of one of my main vents on a Weil McLain steam boiler. As you see there is a vertical length of pipe and then an elbow. The vent has a 90deg angle (yes, that is a radiator vent being used as a main). I'm replacing that vent with a Gorton #2. Regarding the black pipe, should I remove the elbow and replace with a straight reducer to mount to mount the Gorton vent vertically (looks like there is enough headroom for this)? Or should I keep the elbow and mount the Gorton straight out at a 90 deg angle to the vertical pipe?

Thank you in advance.
Bob

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited September 2015
    remove the bushing from the 1.25"/1.5"? elbow and install a bushing to .5", .5" nipple, .5" el, and then the vent. The vent needs to be vertical not horizontal. You could also remove the existing elbow and use a reducing coupling to 1/2"
  • ishmael1980
    ishmael1980 Member Posts: 13
    That's helpful - thank you. So if I understand correctly I don't need to have the existing 1.25" elbow . I can remove it and go with just a straight reducer coupling to 1/2. Is this correct?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    I would also add, have you calculated if 1 Gorton#2 is enough venting? If you aren't sure you can post the pipe size and length of your main and we could make a recommendation. A rule of thumb around here is 1 Gorton #2 vent for every 20' of 2" pipe.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15