Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to raise pH of condensate coming from an old AC

SeafoodLicorce
SeafoodLicorce Member Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a very old AC that is draining condensate into our roof deck drain. The condensate is of course acidic and I'm concerned it will eventually erode the pipes unless it is treated. I've got a similar pH filter set up on my Noritz tankless water heater, but for the life of me I cannot find a plumber or HVAC contractor in the Los Angeles area who will take the job to add something similar to our AC system. Is this really so rare?

One HVAC vendor said they could add tablets to the condensate pan but that doesn't seem right. Any ideas how to get this done? Could I simply buy the same Noritz filter unit I have for the water heater and direct a plumber to install it? The challenge will be that the HVAC drains from the very bottom of the unit (on the floor of the deck) so I'm not sure where it would be positioned. Sorry for the long message - any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    You can add the acid neutralizer right at the outelt of the evaporator coil inside.
  • SeafoodLicorce
    Thanks - do you think this job is better suited to an HVAC company or plumber? I'm not having much luck with either on Angie's List but maybe it's how I am describing it. It seems like a simple job, but not many people seem to be aware of it.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited September 2015
    I thought AC condensate wasn't acidic? I have seen condensing gas appliances erode copper and concrete but never had a problem with AC.
    Bob Bona_4
  • SeafoodLicorce
    edited September 2015
    When we run the AC, condensate immediately trickles down through the drain line. I tested the pH of that runoff using a strip and it looked to be between a 5 and 6. Could the acidic pH be caused by the age of the unit?? Its quite old
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    The condensate from an air conditioner is no different from the water that forms on a cold beverage on a hot, humid day. It's moisture from the air around you. So about the same as rain, I would imagine.

Condensate from a gas-burning appliance is totally different...it's literally condensed products of combustion.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    As far as I know, condensate is distilled, non acidic.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    slightly acidic. Take a sample of the condensate dripping from you car AC, Is it the same ph?

If so it's in the air around where you live :(

Any chemical or industrial plants nearby? Sometimes the local weather stations have data on air quality and what is in the air around your area.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Bob Bona_4