Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reconnecting radiator after new flooring installed

Hello Steam Sages --

Hopefully a simple question. Are there any relatively simple DIY options for re-connecting my steam, two-pipe radiator after I had new flooring installed? The problem is that the new floor is higher than the previous floor, so my radiator sits about 1/2" above where it used to. See the attached photos.

Are any flex pipes acceptable for steam? Or do I have to have a plumber extend the wet and dry lines so the heights match?

Thanks in advance,
tarek

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553
    edited September 2015
    I had to modify one of two pipes last year after putting a floor down. As far as DIY, I did mine but I ended up buying a manual pipe threader,pipe vice,pipe cutter etc because it seems like no one, not Lowes, Homer, not even two different plumbing supplies could thread pipe accurately enough to line up to a radiator and steam main. After 5 or 6 attempts with multiple places I gave up. A big part of the problem being how you thread the pipe effects it's fit and the overall length at the end and sometimes an 1/8" is a lot. At least, that's what I found.

I was able to do it with a threader and pipe cutter and honestly it was fairly simple once I had a small fortune worth of tools.

A plumber should have no problem though as long as he threads his own pipe.

As far as flex, it depends. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. One of mine had a ton of flex and it was in the right direction (up) which gave the single pipe better drainage if anything. I suspect this would also be the case in your situation even with two pipe. If you pull up on the pipes do they move easily? How long is the run from the main to the vertical pipe passing through the floor? The longer, the better. If it's only 2 or 3 feet away it's not happening but if it's 15-20 feet it may work unless the vertical pipe hits the floor. You don't want that either, it'll likely make noise when heating or cooling.

On one of mine, the horizontal run is a good 10 feet or so and it had plenty of flex, but the vertical connect hit the floor which I fixed using a Sawzall and a long thin blade. You need to make sure the escutcheon will cover anything you do if you decide to make the holes bigger. Also, make sure your new flooring has plenty of room around the pipes because as I said before, if they rub you'll hear it.

Also, it may be old staining, but it looks like you may need to tighten that valve packing nut or replace the packing.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    tanandan
  • tanandan
    tanandan Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015
    Thank you Chris. Unfortunately, the mains don't seem to have any play/give to them at this point in my house. Can't tell exactly why due to basement ceiling / visibility issues.

Re the flex pipe, I actually meant whether a flexible pipe like the kind used for gas oven/range hook-ups might be an option. I'm guessing not though and it sounds like I should I hire a pro plumber.

Thanks again.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553
    edited September 2015
    Oh,
    No, I would expect any kind of flexible pipe to cause serious problems not to mention it would look bad.

A plumber should have no problems fixing the issue. Just make sure he uses black iron pipe and not copper.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    tanandan
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    From the pictures, it looks like it would be simple. On the valve end, take the valve off, add a street 45 onto the end of that nipple and remount your valve on the street elbow. The valve will now be upright but that's fine. On the Trap end, remove the trap, remove that short nipple, add a new nipple a little longer than the one that's there (however long you need) and then remount the trap.
    Maine Vent