Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Learning FHA & AC: Where to start learning?

Ross_24
Ross_24 Member Posts: 82
edited August 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I've enjoyed learning hydronics from a lot of different places: heatinghelp.com, online and classroom courses, RPA, manufacturer training, and reading any books and manuals I can get my hands on.

Well, a possible new position for me will involve various forced hot air and air conditioning systems. I have zero experience with these systems and I want to ask you guys, where are the BEST places to start? I'm sure I could jump around and find my own path for learning, but I thought your experience could help me down the most efficient path.

Let's assume I know next to nothing! (not a big stretch :)) I want to start from square one. What are some of your favorite basic books, courses and training you've taken? Beyond that, what are some of the more advanced areas to learn from?

Of course the position would involve extensive in-house training etc, but I'm looking to expand beyond that.

Appreciate the help guys!

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited August 2015
    I would soak up any wholesaler classes given by various reps. Listen to the technical, ignore the sales chatter. Take advantage of hvac questions in the archive here at HH. Pop over to HVAC-Talk. Get some books on refrigeration principles, and get to know what is going on at every point in the refrigeration cycle. Zoning reps and mfrs often have a wealth of knowledge Re duct design. Spend a day with an hvac tech.
    Achieve your EPA license and you'll gain more refrigerant knowledge. It took me 2 years of state schooling and time in the field to be eligible to hold my state cooling liscense back 25 years ago. That's a start!
    Ross_24
  • Ross_24
    Ross_24 Member Posts: 82
    Bob Bona said:

I would soak up any wholesaler classes given by various reps. Listen to the technical, ignore the sales chatter. Take advantage of hvac questions in the archive here at HH. Pop over to HVAC-Talk. Get some books on refrigeration principles, and get to know what is going on at every point in the refrigeration cycle. Zoning reps and mfrs often have a wealth of knowledge Re duct design. Spend a day with an hvac tech.

Achieve your EPA license and you'll gain more refrigerant knowledge. It took me 2 years of state schooling and time in the field to be eligible to hold my state cooling liscense back 25 years ago. That's a start!

Thanks for the help, Bob. Great ideas.