Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How in the world...

Options
Would you guys pipe in a Gorton #2 in this location? Pipe is a little over 20' long and I am scratching my head on how to do it. There is virtually NO room between the wall and the elbow and there is no pipe movement at all.
"Hey, it looks good on you though..."

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    I'd try to bust one or both bushings out and then pipe a 90 or 45 in and then likely try to squeeze multiple G1s in due to height.

Do you think you can spin a 90 on a short nipple into that without hitting the wall too much or is there not enough room?

Is the wall plaster\drywall or concrete?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What size thread is the present air vent? If it's 1/2" you could put an elbow there and then 3 Gorton #1's off that elbow, just make sure is a little slope back towards the elbow so water does not get trapped.

3ea #1's is about 0.99cfm while a #2 is 1.1 cfm.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Steam_Starter
    Steam_Starter Member Posts: 109
    Options
    @ ChrisJ - Foundation wall - concrete. That's the goal here is to try and spin a 90 on the elbow and go with an antler from there but I don't think I have the room.

@ BobC - I can go with the 3 x #1's if I could just get an elbow in. I am going to give it a shot next weekend.

This is at a next door neighbors house and I freaked last weekend when he showed me what a "great job" the painter did in his new laundry room. The vent is way too small but now it is painted shut big-time. So, off we go to replacing it. Same situation for the other loop on the other side of the basement but I can easily get a #2 in that location on an antler. Its not smack-up against the wall. Both loops jusxt happen to be a hair over 20' long so the #2's (or variants) will work well.

Thanks, Guys.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    What about welding or brazing a fitting on?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    What about a 45° elbow? I don't think they need as big of a radius to swing. Once the first one is on you could add a second and adjust it for slope, add another nipple and 90° elbow (or tees for multiple vents) and then the vent. Since that is a reducing tee that flares out below that I would think there is enough room to spin a small 45°, but it's sometimes hard to tell in pictures. Oh and I think a malleable fitting with the thinner collar might allow a tad bit more breathing room as well. Just a couple thoughts.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Steam_Starter
    Options
    Welding? I didn't even think of that. Could use a nickel electrode which I have laying around. Could go the 45° route as well since the fittings are inexpensive and I have some time to play around.

Thanks again, guys!
    ChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Being how the air vent is on that 90 in the "forbidden zone" for main venting, how about just leave it there, back up 15" or more and drill and tap for a 1/4" IPS fitting. A Gorton #2 only needs a 1/4" tap.

If you still had to use the 3 smaller vents because of height than 3 taps could be installed. I would keep the taps maybe 6 to 8" apart on the top of the pipe.
    This has worked for me on 1918 pipes and was easier than I thought it would be.....drilled and tapped quite well.

Don't have the painters back to touch up your new work. ;)

Edit:
    Welding.....well maybe will need the painters... :)
  • Steam_Starter
    Options
    Forbidden Zone - yeah. That hit me too. Other one is in same location on other side of basement. I am going to try the elbow route first and see where it goes from there...I will post a pic of the new work (when I am able to get it done...)

Thanks again all...
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    What about threading a union with a close nipple? You could make the whole antler removable that way.
    JStarRobG
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    SWEI said:

What about threading a union with a close nipple? You could make the whole antler removable that way.

You just made me feel kind of like this poor girl.
    Not near as bad, but a similar hint of the feeling.

https://youtu.be/u7KKySANnxQ
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Sorry -- that one went right by me.

A union with one male NPT end would drop the height a bit.

Installing a union would allow prefabricating the antler (easier now) and make replacing or augmenting vents a lot easier later.
    RobG
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    SWEI said:

Sometimes the obvious eludes us....this picture is for me.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    SWEI said:

We do this all the time when then vent is up inside a floor joist, with little room to swing a wrench.
  • Steam_Starter
    Options
    Blatantly obvious. As my son says..."Dad, can you get with it?!"