Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping a steam boiler for HW circuit

HEATON
HEATON Member Posts: 117
Advise to a church client is my proposal to remove a leaking 50 year old 240m btu input that has a connected load of 50m btu heating units for the basement, the main boiler about 10 yrs old is a weil mclain steam unit. I need drawings to take this HW circuit of that steam boiler and discard the dangerous inefficient dinasaur . Ive done this once on another job but too long ago to remember. appreciate comments and support.. Heaton, John H Washington PA

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Are you speaking of thousands of BTU's? M indicates millions.
  • HEATON
    thousands
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    RobG said:

Are you speaking of thousands of BTU's? M indicates millions.

Funny (or not) aside...

My wife is a commercial banker and always sends me short hand of "Our portfolio just went up $3M"

My response is "Get the jet ready, we're headed to the Bahamas!"

She shakes her head at her uncouth husband and explains in financial jargon shorthand, M is thousand, MM is million.

or mille=1000 and mille mille is 1,000,000

Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    RobG
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    M is roman for thousand and often used for this.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    A frequent source of confusion with engineering drawings, BTW. In school we were taught to use K, which to me is unambiguous. M (and m) leave me scratching my head sometimes.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited August 2015
    SWEI said:

A frequent source of confusion with engineering drawings, BTW. In school we were taught to use K, which to me is unambiguous. M (and m) leave me scratching my head sometimes.

True,
    But did anyone think a church actually had a 240,000,000btu boiler and several 50,000,000 btu heating units?

That's a big boiler.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Does that make it a mega-church?
    ChrisJ
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    back to the issue, are you still using steam in the other sections of the church? 240mbtu is not a dinosaur it is a large dog.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • HEATON
    I stand corrected for not using proper hydronic slang. The boiler I am proposing to replace or eliminate is is a" large senior dog" . Is it still OK to use the word senior? Or is that now discriminating against a disadvantaged class? The 240,000btuh input boiler is providing hot water to two space heating zones. One with around 50,000 btuh at 180 deg f and another with 2 small cast iron radiators totaling 10,000btuh. each has its own circ. and stat, The steam boiler is a Weil Mclain 1.2MM input supplying steam to radiators to the rest of the church. Thats 1,200,000 btuh. Now I forgot what the issue was, Oh yes The piping and controlling of a circuit for this hot water portion of the building, of the steam boiler. Some of my old notes show a heat exchanger being utilized and a pump on the steam boiler side. This gets to be not cost effective when comparing $$ to a replacement (sized properly) boiler. Any (usefull) info ? Thanks for your eagerness to help, always. JH