Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Restriction on 5 ton RTU, never seen this before;

Empire_2
Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
Services a 5 ton Rheem RTU, problem was no cooling. Hooked up gauges as usual, found really lo suction pressure (about 25 psig, and only a 200- 220 head pressure on the LL service access valve. Compressor was starting to whistle/scream after about a min or 2. located 2 additional access ports within aprox a foot before the LL access port. Being curious both of these ports would immediately rocket to 400 plus psig while LL port satyed and may have risen just a little. Reclaimed R-22 cut open the LL just before the LL port, blew out w/ nitrogen and out popped an "O" ring for a Schrader cap. I ask anyone how in the heck did that get in there? System never opened, all piping is original, RTU aprox 6 years old. If from factory, I doubt the system ever worked properly. A simple start up report would have caught this, but maybe it moved to its final position from some other location in the system......?
njtommy

Comments

• njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    It wouldnt be the first time I've found something like that. I had trane RTU do the same thing I found it all in the inlet of the filter drier. There was pieces brazzing rods in there too.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Factory assembled on a Friday PM or a Monday AM?

Good thing for the filter drier, yes!
    Empire_2
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    JUNGHNE I'm thinking a Friday.
    njtommy
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The "O" rings I could understand being an accident. The brazing rod scraps though would be tough to drop into an open pipe?

Maybe a disgruntled employee. The real issue is if the manufacture company would step up and actually admit that all this is possible. :(
    However after the unit is a few years in use they have probably seen a lot of situations where junk could have been left in a system after it left a factory...but it is always obvious if the factory piping has been altered or opened, I'm not doubting either of your stories.

I knew who had the bad day for the few joints that I missed with solder or the PVC drain fitting that didn't get glued over the years. :'(