Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Replacing old brass flanged tail piece

CLamb Member Posts: 87
I am replacing a brass flanged tail piece under an old (circa 1950) dual basin laundry sink because it was leaking at the slip joint. I would like to replace the entire piece but I don't think anyone manufactures something with that big a flare these days. It is a 1.5" tube with a flare diameter of 2.5" at the top. There was a rubber seal (now carbonized) between it and the drain. The bottom of it goes into a slip joint on a P-trap. I am looking for ideas on how to replace it. I could try getting a 1.5" piece of brass tubing, anneal it, and try to flare or spin it out to match the original but that is a lot of work. It looks like someone repaired it before with a piece of copper tube and a coupler soldered. I suppose I could replace the bottom piece of copper with a new one. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.


  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,185
    I would try to find some renovation supply places to see if they might have what you need. I am sure with enough time you could make your own tailpiece, but like you said, it will take time.
    I would bet that Icesailor would have had an answer though.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 14,797
    copper tube would be a little easier to work. Anneal it and use a ball peen hammer to flare as needed.

    I agree search e-bay or Pintrest for a replacement.

    Looks like the entire assembly under the sinks could use a replacement.

    If you removed that part could you replace with two small basket strainers and build a PVC connector below?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 87
    I think I'll go with hot rod's advice and just replace the whole assembly. The drains are just two simple drain plugs. I can't see how they're fastened in however. No accessible nuts on the bottom like modern drains. Perhaps they are screwed in from above? Maybe I have to use the crosspiece inside the drain to unscrew it.
  • L Thiesen
    L Thiesen Member Posts: 54
    If that is a porclean on steel sink like the ones I have worked on thoses cross pieces are cast in the the sink by the manufactur. All you will do is break them, I don't know of any basket strainers small enough to fit. If you can't use the orginal cross piece for the drain it will be new sink time. Good Luck.
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 87
    Thanks for the warning, L Thiesen. That saved me grief. I ended up just punting. I took apart the soldered joint and used a Fernco to connect it to a new piece. For some reason using Fernco couplings seems to me like cheating. I guess I'm just old school.
Sign In or Register to comment.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!