Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Neglected, frozen, and forgotten. "Can you fix this?"

nicknazak
nicknazak Member Posts: 1
Hello there. I have a customer who has recently purchased a 8000 sq foot home in a very historic Detroit neighborhood. The house was purchased in an auction, after being neglected, and frozen. We have been tasked with repairing any broken lines, of which there will be many, and replacing the old cast iron radiators that have been damaged due to neglect, and lack of proper (if any) winterization.
We will be installing a new boiler and repairing any hydronic piping that doesn't pass the pressure test. The owner is requesting that we remove the cracked cast iron radiators, and replace these sections with fin tube (or some other creative solution). There are many radiation points in the home where the owner is requesting we just " cap it off". I have repeatedly been told that I "will not be liable for heat at the final radiation points".
I have many concerns with this....
It is my understanding that I will not get the same amount of radiation from a (4') section of fin tube that I would receive from a (4') long section of radiator. I certainly don't want the customer to go through all of this only to end up with a poorly heated house. It seems to me that the cost of radiator replacement is preventing the owner from replacing the damaged radiators with new cast iron replacement radiators.
Enter here creative minds. Would it be considered sacrilegious, crazy talk, to build (sigh) a radiator out of fin tubing? I'm thinking of using fin tubing and diverters tees. I am limited on space in certain areas due to existing piping penetrations, book cases, ornate trim work, etc...
What other options am I not considering? Your help is very appreciated.

Nick

Comments

• JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    How about using modern panel radiators?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Best to start with a detailed, room by room heat load calc. Without a load calc you will not be able to select replacement radiation, whatever the type, for the rooms.

Panel radiators might be a better "look" if cast iron radiators are out of the question. If so a homerun piping system may be the easiest to install and offer room by room temperature control with TRVs added. You can snake 3/8 or 1/2 pex most anywhere in old buildings.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    RobGRich_49
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Do not let the homeowner dictate to you what needs to be done. Perform a room by room heat loss (for a fee) and let them know what is needed. Panel radiators work awesome! You can also get new radiators. There may be some right in this site...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
    Rich_49