Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No such thing as a stupid question?

Options
If a customer has a check valve or pressure reducing valve on their incoming water main, we install expansion tanks on the domestic to allow thermal expansion without an increase in the water pressure, correct? That's in the case of a tank-type water heater. So, what if we install an "on-demand" water heater or we have a combi boiler that doesn't have a storage tank? Do you still install an expansion tank? Is one really necessary? I would guess not since most of the water that is heated is getting used right away; there is no reservoir of hot water to expand.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    I'm not a pro and honestly don't know what "the norm" is, but my guess would be you still want one.

It's not the tank only, it's anything with liquid in it. While the heater should only be heating with a faucet open what happens to the water in the heat exchanger when the faucet is closed?

Also, what happens as all of the water cools and shrinks?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I would still install one, but we certainly have tankless systems without one and don't have a problem. I bet the total expansion of the hot water doesn't add enough pressure to be a problem.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I generally do not w/ tankless/combi water heaters. I have never had an issue. If it is very high btu input I do as I did have an issue one time w/ a 399k unit.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 481
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You will not need it for the purpose of thermal expansion. Some tankless units have optical sensors to detect water flow. A large expansion tank can play a not so funny game by allowing water to move back and forth causing a false water flow condition and a call for ignition. So as a wise man once said "it depends"...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com