Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What questions should I ask a plumber about Radiant heating?

Dunqan
Dunqan Member Posts: 2
I'm looking to get in floor hydronic radiant heating added to about 1500 sq. ft. across 2 floors of a house my wife and I are purchasing. We're fully replacing the floors so this seems like a good time.

There is currently a 250k Btu boiler to support radiant heat in the kitchen and also radiators in a side room. The house also has forced hot air for most rooms.

I'd like to install radiant heating but I'm unsure what questions to ask to make sure I get a good system setup and hopefully not get overcharged for things I don't need.

So any help with good questions or suggestions for system specs (like if I want a second pump on the second floor or whatnot) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dunqan

Comments

• Dunqan
    Dunqan Member Posts: 2
    Adding pics of the current system. The manifold is in a room about 20 ft from the boiler.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    This is the time for a full evaluation of the entire hydronic system. At first blush, the boiler seems oversized.

I would give a couple of the major radiant manufacturers a call and ask for factory trained installers in your area. Uponor, Viega come to mind. This is one of your best chances to get it right. Things like floor loading, possible supplemental heat, floor coverings, home infiltration values, zoning, radiant heat loss, etc are all critical design criteria for a successful job.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited July 2015
    Bob may very well be onto something . How big i sthis house and where is it located that it requires a 250K boiler ?
    fairly new Buderus there , me thinks I see a buffer tank in the future
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    jonny88
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Inhibitor also a lot of blk pipe.