Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Steam home owner in Bethpage Long Island

vmkj
vmkj Member Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

We just purchased a house in Bethpage Long Island with steam heat. From what I've been reading here the system in the house is a one pipe steam system. We are currently renovating so parts of the house and we're thinking of partitioning one of the upstairs bedrooms and making it into 2 bedrooms. The only location the contractor can add the wall is right where the steam radiator sits. Now here's my question.

Is there any possible way to move the steam radiator over 5 feet from where it sits and also is there a way to connect another radiator to the same line to feed the other room?

We had a plumber come in and the first thing he said was that steam heat is very old and very inefficient that we should convert to hot water.

If anyone knows of a good steam plumber in Long Island please let me know.

Thanks!

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    All of this can be done by a steam pro, DO NOT LET THE CONTRACTOR ATTEMPT TO MOVE THE PIPING! He will do it wrong and it will never work again.

Find a steam pro, I'm in the Boston area so I can't give you a name.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • vmkj
    Thanks for the reply Bob. One of the main reasons I'm here is so I can get some answers and find a good steam pro. Funny enough just a few blocks from my house there's a store with a big Heatinghelp.com banner on the from window but the shades are always closed and there's no open/closed time chart.

I forgot to add that the kitchen has hot water and what the plumber wanted to do was convert the kitchen to steam and bring hot water to the upstairs for the bedrooms and bathroom. I'm just afraid that he will do a haft anused job and screw things up.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    The key with steam heat is the piping has to be sized right and it all has to be sloped back towards the boiler.

Try sliding a note under that guys door, he's probably a busy guy if he's good. Hopefully someone will chime in with a contractors name.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    That's our office, where the elves work. They are there every day.
    Retired and loving it.
    Bob Bona_4ChrisJ
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    They never rest. Ever vigilant.
    Retired and loving it.
    Robert O'Brien
  • vmkj
    Dan, Hatteras thanks for the reply.

Found 2 more radiators that we would like to be moved. We are also doing the bathrooms and found these little wonders hidden away inside the bathroom cabinet under the sink. That and we are also looking into bringing a gas line to the kitchen (gas is in the basement) for the stove and I'm sure other things will be showing up :/

Dan if you have an elf hidden away somewhere in the office that would be willing to do the work please let us know.

Thanks everyone
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    If you like ,I can take an look for you 631-546-8000
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited July 2015
    I haven't seen it said, so I'm going to say it.

Steam heat is very efficient when working right. Your plumber doesn't know what he's talking about and please keep him far away from the steam system.

Is it old? Yes, but so is water and we're still drinking it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Tim Pottervaporvac
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    vmkj said:

We had a plumber come in and the first thing he said was that steam heat is very old and very inefficient that we should convert to hot water.

Translation: "I know nothing about steam heat, but I know about hot water heat so you should switch to that"