Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler. Pressurized hydronic zone. What heat exchanger do you like?

Options
JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
I don't love brazed plate exchangers for this and I prefer to use something insulated.
What have you used with success, please?

Thank you!
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    hello john ,in the past i have used a standard tube and shell ,i myself am not a huge fan of plate exchangers for that type of application to much mud .Remenber to add a vacume breaker on the exchanger and in some cases i have seen thermal disc type traps used instead of a standard f and t trap .Also be sure that your exchanger is rated for the btu output that you need under the pressure your system is operating other wise you will have to increase your system pressure to get the rated output which could cause issues down the line and for the rest of the system .I personally like using tube and shells that are serviable with removable ends to clean the tubes if piped properly using some unions .Weather you use a standard trap or thermal disc is some thing to chk with the heat exchangers manafactures i would make sure to include a strainer and drip leg on exchangers outlet as to not have debrie build up and clog your trap or thermal dics,the vacume breaker would definetly be used if the exchanger where to be working off a zone valve ,they are usually recommended on most steam to water heat exchangers due to the possibleablity of a vacume being formed either on the off cycle or when the zone valve is closed and possible damaging the exchanger .Hope this helps you out peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    That does help. Thanks, Clammy. I'll look at some tube-n-shell HX units today.
    Take care.
    John
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes