Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The next one...

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
@Hatterasguy - This board is one of the next ones we're doing. Its already been delivered to the job site but in the picture I'm posting, the piping is incomplete...so be kind : ). I'm not sure why I didn't take a completed picture? This will also be tied into a WHN.
Steve Minnich
SWEI

Comments

• Tinman
    edited July 2015
    1. The HX will be serving a basement zone of non-barrier pex (older).

2. I have 2 different SWT's and it was suggested to me I try these Honeywell VBN motorized ball valves and actuators rather than the standard Tekmar 3-way valves or the like. They will tie into add-on Lochinvar Multi-Loop Temperature Control.

3. I love the Caleffi combo unit. It's probably the 10th (?) job in a row I've used them and I see no reason to go back. The non-lever, automatic start and stop feature of the fast fill is worth the price of admission. You never have to monitor the pressure gauge as you're purging the system or worry about forgetting that the it's in fast fill and a relief valve popping (has anyone not ever done that?)

Thanks again. I draw it on paper and then do my best to make it fit on the board.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Stephen,

Looks great! The Caleffi combo, looks great where you have it, keeps it very clean and uniform. I am curious if you have a union in front of it otherwise it will be a pain to change. Just my experience.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Tinman
    edited July 2015
    Tom - Thanks and it's not too late to add that union so I will.
    Steve Minnich
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited July 2015

I have 2 different SWT's and it was suggested to me I try these Honeywell VBN motorized ball valves and actuators rather than the standard Tekmar 3-way valves or the like. They will tie into add-on Lochinvar Multi-Loop Temperature Control.

Had to go look those up. The valves in the picture don't seem to jive with the VBN photos (with MVN actuators) I see online?

Seems like everyone is jumping into the zone ball valve market. I count Taco, Caleffi, Honeywell, and Belimo so far. If you're doing 3-way mixing you need to pay close attention to Cv. Bigger is not necessarily better there.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Really enjoy seeing your work and your joints are beautiful.I also like the Caleffi combo unit and use it all the time.Nice that you have good customers willing to get great products.Thanks for sharing.On a side note when you bid for that job what was your competitors coming up with.I see you obviously dont cut corners and imagine your price is a lot higher.How do you get the sell(the magic ?).Good luck .
  • Tinman
    edited July 2015
    Kurt - Yes, we're using the MVN actuators and paid close attention to the Cv. Piotr Zelasko, who many of you may know, is the one that suggested I try this route. Piotr has been part and parcel in helping me look at some things in a different way. I'm lucky to have him in my corner and kudos to Porter Pipe and Supply for hiring him.

And, I meant to say "Multi-Temperature Loop Control".
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    This is one of the actuators.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    johnny88 - Its not unusual to get feedback that I'm higher in price. I can't remember the last job where I just cut the supply and return and just re-piped them back into the boiler. I'm always changing the near boiler piping.

I don't know? I'm honest. I tell them what I'm going to do, the benefits of that, and then I do it. And, I back it up. I feel like the system is as much mine as it is there's when I install a job. It's not easy, I'll tell you that much!
    Steve Minnich
    SWEIjonny884Johnpipe
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Agreed,by the way you got a nice touch with your soldering.How long did it take you to prefab the whole assembly.
  • Tinman
    Thanks jonny88 - roughly a day? I went back the next morning and tweaked a few things because I'm never satisfied.

Like most everybody, I've got a particular method of soldering and I'm particular about what I use...Nokorode paste flux and Stay-Brite 8 solder, propane tank with 3 different size torch tips depending on the size pipe, and wipe it clean.
    Steve Minnich
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The caleffi already has unions. Why add another?
  • Tinman
    edited July 2015
    Not on the boiler side of the pressure reducing valve.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Pic
    Steve Minnich
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Steve, do you prewire the board as much as possible prior to installation?
  • Tinman
    I usually do but these last two I didn't.
    Steve Minnich
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Nice work! The only recommendation I can see is to perhaps have a means to flush the FPHX on both sides or unions so it can be removed...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
    Tinman