Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PE-RT and Extruded Plates

Options
Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
Has anyone used PE-RT pipe with extruded aluminum plates? Does it stay snapped in securely? Will it walk out over time?

Anybody got a track record? Good experiences or bad?

Thanks
Harvey

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    The most recognized expert in the industry is Dale Picard with Radiant Engineering out of Bozeman Montana. I hope you are using his product... If anyone would be aware of an issue, it would be him.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Rich_49Harvey Ramer
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I wish Dale's product was sold locally.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I think most of the Radiant manufacturers sell Radiant Engineering plates, under their name. It may be the "lite" version, a bit less aluminum but same tight tube fit.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tinman
    Options
    Maybe a version of the C-Fin but I haven't seen the U-Fin in my area? Nor the 8' lengths.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Try Dale next time you have a job. He has extruders in a number of areas across the US. I picked up a trailer load of 10 footers right from an extruder 30 miles from me once. As I recall this shop had the ability to squirt out 20 footers if you wanted.

Aluminum weight adds up when you ship large orders, the closer to the jobsite you can ship from, the more affordable.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Tinman
    Options
    Sweet. I will do that.
    Steve Minnich
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys.

Next question,
    Has anyone attached the plates using a coil roofing gun with 3/4" nails? My main concern would be that the nails don't work loose over time. It would be a hell of a lot faster than screwing them all!
  • Tinman
    Options
    If I remember correctly, Hot Rod was shooting the plates years ago? Ear protection a must. Another thing I learned from HR was to use a palm nailer to bang the tubing in. I can attest to that working great.
    Steve Minnich
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    I kind of thought I heard HR mention it before. Wasn't sure.

The palm nailer is a new one to me. I can see that it would work great. I just happen to have one. Gonna try it.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Tried both the coil nailer and narrow crown stapler. It's a tough go with the thick gauge plates and they do get distorted at the fastener, lots of mis-fires. Thinner gauge aluminum plates nail easier, but also distort more at every shot.

Also tried a self feed screw gun with drill point screws. That was a nice tight fastener, but slow and expensive per shot. Working overhead kept plugging the feed mechanism with aluminum chips from the drill point.

Pre-drilled plates help, but hitting the hole with the roofing nailer was a challenge.

Even tried a heavy duty double stick tape that 3M sent me.

I never did come up with a super fast method.

I also pioneered the graphite plates with Watts Radiant and installed some of the first prototypes. They shoot up easily, but tube contact and plate to subfloor contact, not so great. I believe they added a stiffer since the first try.

You really need top quality ear protection when you use pneumatic tools in joist bays, I'm still paying for that lesson :)

I still have all these tools if you care to try one. For a small retro, it's doable. Over 2000 square feet or more is a slough.

Now we know why the rubber tube staple up or the old Wirsbo "dangled tube" method was so popular. Too bad about the crappy heat transfer.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    We modified a Milwaukee M12 cordless palm nailer by adding an anvil-ish extension with a flat face that worked out pretty well.

Still looking for a faster way to attach the plates to the subfloor, though.
    wyo
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Don't forget the young helper and a bakers scaffold! In my opinion that is what really makes the install easier. The hardest part is finding a helper willing to work. :'(
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    I've only ever screwed the plates tight. A tedious task.

I don't have any midgets running around to help pull the tube through and hand me stuff. I've been working alone so long now, I just always find a way to get things done. I'll be running around on drywall stilts, materials on the baker scaffold and the chop saw set up high for cutting the plates.

It doesn't take me long to do this stuff, but I am always looking for an easier, faster way. Where better to ask than here.
    Mark Eatherton
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    https://youtu.be/6M7EFtgGFdM

This would be the cats meow for pre drilled plates except 1 1/2" naiils are the shortest nail. It will most certainly punch through heavy gauge aluminum. Metal stud framers use them to shoot track down on concrete floors. Worth a chat to paslode to see if a 3/4" nail is doable explaining the application.
    Mark Eatherton