Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Gas pipe pressure test

Options
NOBS
NOBS Member Posts: 7
I ran 70ft of 1" galvanized pipe.
I performed an 15# pressure test overnight and the pressure did not drop. . I decided to let it go another day and it dropped 1 pound. Should i be concerned?

Comments

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Options
    It is quite possible that your local code will not permit galvanized pipe for use with fuel gas.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    That's my guess, but....who knows, what's state, county,township?
  • j a_2
    Options
    Little research shows galvinzed, is allowed in other areas...we don't use it...not sure why....Let the book be your friend.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    JA, I was told that NG caused scaling of copper and flaking inside Galv pipe. Then these particles may keep a valve from seating when off or at best plug pilot.

This was late 1960's. Neither material was allowed on the Kansas-Nebraska piping system at that time. Copper tubing was allowed outside UG for yard lights if the tubing was tin lined on the inside.
  • j a_2
    Options
    Interesting, learn everyday....just never was allowed here in Boston area that I remember....I stick to black schd. 40 hard pipe only....No yellow crap either...just me and my thinking...I hear they sell a lot of it...I like using a level. As i am sure you do
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    All I have been using since they brought natural gas in to our area has been galvanized. It is approved by the UPC and the local gas utility.
    The main reason I have been using it is that we are a coastal community, and the first job I did was a block from the beach . The owner was concerned about corrosion, so I did research and found it was allowed, so have been using it ever since. I have only been stocking it instead of the black pipe because of stocking room availability. Also, I can't stand to buy black pipe and have scale spots all over it in about a day. Galvanized is not much more in cost.
    I believe the reason it was not allowed before was because of the way the galvanizing was put on before. The pipe we get now is hot dipped so doesn't have the flake issue like it did.
    They do allow copper tube around here, but the utility has very specific rules on where and how it can be run. I usually only see it when someone has propane and is converting to natural gas. Most of the time it is too small anyway, so gets ripped out, and new stuff put in.
    Rick
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We are all black pipe or Trak Pipe :'( in my area. If it's outdoors it gets a lovely coat of grey paint. The LP suppliers will still use copper.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    We used to use blk in the city but on long island Galv.I think the city has changed.I do see a deteriation in blk when used outside over time.Galv does seem to hold up.Underground we are using the plastic pipe that utilities use in street.You just have to use proper risers with anode blah blah blah.Hear you j a.I personally would not use trak pipe.Had to cut it out 3 times due to pin hole leaks mind you it was on a coastal property .