Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Running a large pump via tekmar 356

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
This tekmar has a 2.4A relay. Has anyone used an isolation relay, like a triac to run larger pumps?

With the Caleffi and many digital solar controllers they have a 1A solid state, trial relay. Any off the shelf 120V triac relay can be wired into that output.

Not sure what type of output you get from the tekmar? Tekmar suggested a 240V circ.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    I am anxiously awaiting an answer on this one!
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    The 356 has a TRIAC chopper in it just like many of the solar controllers do. It's chopping up the AC waveform 120 times per second down to about 30% or so, and after that it switches to a PWM algorithm. A mechanical relay won't react fast enough, but a solid state relay might be just fine.

How large a pump are you trying to run? Can you get it with a 3Ø motor? That will perform far better on a VFD (which you can feed with single phase power) than any of those TRIAC speed controls will on a single phase motor.
    Turbo Dave
  • hot_rod
    Here is what we do with the I-solar control, when we need to switch and modulate in excess of 1A.
    This is an inexpensive Omron triac relay, 25A in a small box! I've run a 5hp shop vac on this setup.
    These triacs are everywhere now a days, this one is commonly used in electric boilers to modulate the elements.

I'll look for a 356 to test this, but I don't think tekmar is willing to bless it :), even if it works.

I think the HBX controls will switch closer to 5A in their VS controls, I know they have expanded their offering recently.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Make sure that is mounted to metal, with thermal compound, so it can dissipate it's internal heat.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • hot_rod
    BobC said:

Make sure that is mounted to metal, with thermal compound, so it can dissipate it's internal heat.

Bob

good point, they heat up quickly with the higher loads.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA