Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BVENT Flue Exterior Cap/"Hat" ?

Patchogue Phil_2
Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
edited June 2015 in Gas Heating
What do you call the flue cap or termination "hat" on propane flue pipe bvent? Squirrels chewed a hole on the top, wound up in basement. Is the flue cap missing a top piece beside the chewed hole?

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    I don't recognize that cap...maybe Amerivent or Metal Fab? Looks like a pretty good cap design actually. Provides weather protection while promoting a bit of draft inside the outer sleeve. It's a top or a cap.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Anyone know of a good brand that is better at resisting squirrels?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,407
    edited June 2015
    Smith and Wesson, Remington.
    That's some Nutty squirrels to eat metal.
    Getting something thicker would mean stainless. It will not fit w/ the B-vent.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I don't think a squirrel did that. If you look at the cap up close, there are similar "chewed"up sections around every part that ties the inner cap to the outer cap. I am thinking corrosion from the exhaust, possibly from low flue temps. I would check that first.
    Rick
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    kcopp said:

Smith and Wesson, Remington.
    That's some Nutty squirrels to eat metal.
    Getting something thicker would mean stainless. It will not fit w/ the B-vent.

I kinda tend towards premium air rifles. Straightshooters.com
    With a good air rifle you don't worry people so and still can clean the place up. Nothing like a good squirrel stew. Hmmmm, bushy tailed rat stew.
    kcopp
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Jack said:

I kinda tend towards premium air rifles. Straightshooters.com With a good air rifle you don't worry people so and still can clean the place up.

Bought a Daystate when we were in Reno to help deal with a muskrat problem. Wicked accurate.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Sorta looks like a Hart & Cooley. That rodent must have really strong teeth.
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    Field Controls makes a Star Kap that is heavy gauge steel.
  • Patchogue Phil_2

Sorta looks like a Hart & Cooley. That rodent must have really strong teeth.

The straight pipe label says Duravent. I didn't notice a label on the cap itself.

And it is definitely squirrels chewing the metal. Not corrosion.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,475
    I tried to use my grill last night and found they chewed through the hose from the propane tank. It's lucky I heard the hissing or it could have been an exciting evening.

Time to get a young female cat to patrol the back yard - dogs are just to slow.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    And most dogs don't climb up the trees nor the roof to catch a squirrel. They just bark their fool head off while leaping up n down.

Of course there are exceptions.