Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect HWH and forced hot water zone?

justinnj
justinnj Member Posts: 6
I'm in the process of getting quotes on our conversion from oil to gas and I'm wondering if it's possible and/or wise if we run around a third of boiler capacity for hot water zones on small additions to the house (finished basement, powder room, finished attic) AND prioritize an indirect heater over these zones. So far, most contractors seem unsure or hesitant and I'm just curious if this is because it's uncommon or just not a smart move. In my opinion, these small additions already get a lot of air and heat from the main/original steam heated structure, and they should be able to easily handle 1/2 hr periods or longer with no hot water heat periodically. But I can see how this strategy might be trying to squeeze too much out of too small a package
and can I live with a standard hot water heater if this is not the best move.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• justinnj
    justinnj Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, guys.
    So far, only very half-assed heatlosses and EDR calcs and I've disqualified everyone who has come through the place so far ;-)

I think they might have thought I was trying to get too much out of the boiler, but thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I've got two localish people coming who claim to be steam gurus.

We'll see how that goes, and if that doesn't go well I'll reach out to you, Rich. I'm in Keyport. A little far, but probably not too unreasonable for you.