Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a junker/scrapper service

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
in the Chicago area for breaking down and removing old cast iron boilers from customer's premises. I had a couple guys in the past but they're out of business now. Probably due to bad backs and knees. Thanks.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options

in the Chicago area for breaking down and removing old cast iron boilers from customer's premises. I had a couple guys in the past but they're out of business now. Probably due to bad backs and knees. Thanks.

It may be that they went out of business because the price of scrap iron has dropped by about 60% from two years ago. thanks China!
    jonny88
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Stephen I find it very hard to even believe you cant find anyone to scrap boilers......For free even. Unless of course you require WC insurance ETC.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I found one today. Not free and neither were the other guys I used before. WC requirement isn't a bad idea but I don't see that happening.
    Steve Minnich
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Stephen in the city, I find that leaving some scrap iron outside during a job will have a scrapper on site within a couple hours at most. Leave a note on the scrap with the words "Por mas metal llamame 773-xxx-xxx" I'll have a phone call by the end of the day.
    Tinman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I'm always impressed by so may ESL culture/people who will see this as an opportunity for additional income to get ahead a bit. They might have a low paying day job and even get some govi bennies but will still go for the scrapping.
    In our small village there was a 3 generation family who always were available for this sort of help. But in the last 10-15 years they found how to get "free" checks in the mail from the govi.
    And the giver of "free" checks has determined that they are also disabled and will get another check.

This is nothing new. But maybe part of the reason there are not scrappers and such as there used to be. It is really easier to go to the USPO and even that is old school. Now things are direct deposit.

As it is said out here (old school again): "There are people who sign the front of checks and then those who sign the back of the checks"

{Sorry for the ranting} ;)