Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Capital Wincheser Still On the Job

Options
laketolake
laketolake Member Posts: 3
Any one know what age this could be?
Size 45
S/N 184272

Thanks.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    It's at least 90-100 years old. It was originally fired by coal, then probably oil, and now a gas conversion burner. The insulation jacket has been removed with asbestos abatement. Try a new boiler with an indirect storage tank for DHW. You'll see a significant energy savings.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Options
    A nice article. "Gaunt supermodels" in reference to boilers. LOL.

http://saintpaulalmanac.org/saint-paul-stories/things-we-love/capitol-winchester/
    terry
    4Johnpipe
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Cool article.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Who says cast iron boilers don't last!! The new ones won't last that long, more efficient-yes. Lower water content and pushed harder to get ratings and keep the price down..yes
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If that boiler were in my house, I'd keep it as longs it ran, effecient or not. Some things are worth the cost.
    AlCorelliNY
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    If someone took the time to baffle that boiler when it was converted to gas the efficiency might not be terrible. It could probably never be made great but longevity is not a bad thing.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    AlCorelliNY
  • laketolake
    Options
    I was appraising the home where this was installed. I had to include a considerable amount of obsolescence but almost felt bad doing so.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Fred said:

If that boiler were in my house, I'd keep it as longs it ran, effecient or not. Some things are worth the cost.

That thing is likely 40-50% at best.
    While I agree on keeping an old 3 pass, forget a snowman type.

No way am I throwing 50-60% of my fuel up the chimney and into the basement.

Furthermore, I still firmly believe a modern boiler with proper water treatment can and will last!

Every manufacturer has a note in their manual stating to use whatever treatment is necessary. They never say "plain water is fine".

By the way, am I the only one that really doesn't like how that water heater is installed? Is that PVC on the relief valve? The whole thing looks fairly precarious. Is it up on that silly stand because the basement flooded or just because of current code? If it's because the basement flooded I'd be worried about that old gas burner that likely was in it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I'd still keep it but that's just me. They sell those relief pipes in PVC now. I guess they are tested to the potential temp/pressure of the relief valve (at least I hope they are).
    I don't like the stand that water heater is on either but the basement floors/walls look too clean, no water marks to indicate any flooding. Maybe at one time it did????
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    That water heater looks like it's sitting on a coffee table?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    RobG said:

If it is, it's the world's smallest coffee table. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • RobG
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

RobG said:

If it is, it's the world's smallest coffee table. :)
    Okay, end table.
    ChrisJ
  • AlCorelliNY
    AlCorelliNY Member Posts: 63
    Options
    If it is a coffee table, maybe it is a demi-tasse style?
    Al Corelli

vaporvacRobG
  • RobG
    Options

If it is a coffee table, maybe it is a demi-tasse style?

Had to look that one up. :*
  • laketolake
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Is it up on that silly stand because the basement flooded or just because of current code?

The pipes were too short! :)

ChrisJ